Respected Contributor

Vegetarian slow cooker recipes

Hi all! I just bought a slow cooker and I'm looking for some vegetarian recipes. A friend told me that veggie soups and bean soups never quite get as thick and hearty in the slow cooker as they do on the stove. Do any of you have experiences making vegetarian recipes in your slow cooker? And what are some of your favorite recipes?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Vegetarian slow cooker recipes

I don't cook any vegetable long enough to use a slow cooker.  I prefer them roasted or pan sauteed. 

Hope someone can help you here.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make lentil curry or Chana masala quite often in my crock pot.  They turn out very well.  If you want to thicken your vegetable soups or stews, make a slurry of flour and water and add it at the end of your cooking time.  That will thicken it up.

Esteemed Contributor

Shamalamadingdong 4 can you share those two recipes?  They sound awesome. Thanks 

Trusted Contributor

@shamalamadingdong4 wrote:

I make lentil curry or Chana masala quite often in my crock pot.  They turn out very well.  If you want to thicken your vegetable soups or stews, make a slurry of flour and water and add it at the end of your cooking time.  That will thicken it up.

I was not familiar with the cooking term "slurry" so I looked it up....

slur·ry
ˈslərē/
noun

1. a semiliquid mixture, typically of fine particles of manure, cement, or coal suspended in water.

Being a vegetarian recipe, you might want to leave out some of these ingredients !!!  lol !!

Trusted Contributor

Slow Cooker Kale (also good substituting Brussels sprouts)

Bunch of fresh kale leaves with stems removed and cleaned or 8 oz sprouts)

1 TBS balsamic vinegar

1/2 cup water (or substitute Veggie Broth for more flavor)

2 TBS red wine (a wine you would drink-- no cooking wine...yuck!!!)

4 sprigs fresh thyme

1 TBS maple syrup

Dried cranberries (add about 30 minutes before cooking is complete)

S & P, if desired (I Trader Joe's no-salt "21 Seasoning Salute")

Optional:  to keep healthy AND enjoy that bacon/smoked meat taste, add a few drops of Liquid Smoke

Cook in appropriate size crock pot/slow cooker on HIGH for 2 hours or until done.  I check several times during the process.  So good while being super healthy for you!!!! 

Trusted Contributor

@keithsmom65 wrote:

I was not familiar with the cooking term "slurry" so I looked it up....

@redhead65, Like you, I had never heard the term "slurry" for that thickener until it was used on Food Network. Thanks for looking it up -- I'll never be able to watch FN with a straight face again!

@vabreeze, Thanks for the kale recipe. It sounds delicious.  Your comment 2 TBS red wine (a wine you would drink-- no cooking wine...yuck!!!) reminds me of the TV Chef who first said, "I use wine all the time when cooking, sometimes I even put it in the food."

[I had a stressful day -- thank you both for helping brighten it up.]

Trusted Contributor

@Rachb I just bought the cookbook: "EASY TO FOLLOW SLOW-COOKER VEGETARIAN RECIPE BOOK" by Noah White. Looks GOOD!. Just received it so haven't tried any recipes yet -- but they do seem easy and delicious.

Happy cooking and GOOD HEALTH to you!

-Solar  Smiley Happy