Honored Contributor

Re: Syracuse Zoo Twin Elephants

@On It 

Time for a PARTY!!!

Can you believe it's been almost a year???

LOVE the hair do's LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Elephant twins Yaad and Tukada will celebrate their 1st birthday, Sunday, Oct. 22, 2023. (Photo courtesy of Rosamond Gifford Zoo)

Join the party: Rosamond Gifford Zoo to celebrate 1st birthday of miracle ele-twins Yaad and Tukada

SYRACUSE, N.Y. — The Rosamond Gifford Zoo will celebrate the 1st birthday of ele-twins Yaad and Tukada this Sunday!

There will be an elephant chat at noon and a cake smash at 2 p.m. on Sunday, October 22.

You can buy gifts for the birthday elephants online.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@On It  

Respected Contributor

@ChiliPepper Thank you! They look great to me. I think about them so often, and I am thrilled that they are thriving.

Esteemed Contributor

going to Syracuse for an appointment,  I would love to go see the babies !  I may swing over there to see them .  If I do I will post back .

Esteemed Contributor

@On It wrote:

@ChiliPepper wrote:

B4A423A5-28D5-474D-9CC3-CFC47B4EC60B.jpeg

This is a great photo. The babies look like they are keeping pace with their mom. I cannot for the life of me determine their size when they are beside their giant mother. I would love to go to Syracuse tomorrow and see them in person. I know they are larger than they seem to be. I am glad to see them so strong and flourishing.

@On It   they do appear tiny compared to their mom .  I'm sure they are larger then we would think though.   I hope I can get to see them in person .  They are so cute ,  love elephants,  they are very sensitive animals and sweet from everything I've read.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ChiliPepper wrote:

@On It 

The public voted & named her Raji - meaning Princess.

E7262551-15F7-4913-8966-DC7599224053.jpeg

Awwwww...precious

Esteemed Contributor

@ChiliPepper @thanks for the photos they are so adorable !

Honored Contributor

@On It 

@Kitty Galore 

Asian elephants Targa and Romani at the Rosamond Gifford Zoo after the solar eclipse on Monday, April 8, 2024. (Photo provided by Rosamond Gifford Zoo)

Elephants at Rosamond Gifford Zoo react to solar eclipse

SYRACUSE, N.Y. — As the eclipse crossed the skies of Syracuse, while most were looking up, some were looking at elephants!

At the Rosamond Gifford Zoo, researchers watched the Asian elephant herd to see how they would react to the total solar eclipse.

On Instagram, the zoo wrote, "In the wild, an elephant herd would close ranks, keeping their young between them as protection if anything made them wary. Our herd displayed this same behavior!

The herd was scattered about the yard grazing, and when it started to get dark they all came together. You can also see their ears pointing out, indicating their unease. The herd kept the babies near them, and Targa and Romani shared a reassuring touch of their trunks when the light returned."

It looks like elephant twins Yaad and Tukada enjoyed their first solar eclipse!

Honored Contributor

@On It 

Rosamond Gifford Zoo welcomes community for Earth Day cleanup, conservation party

Party for the Planet 2024 22-2.jpg photo 10

Party for the Planet 2024 20-2.jpg photo 7

Respected Contributor

@ChiliPepper Thank you for the photos. The babies are adorable. I think of them often and am glad to see updates.