Trusted Contributor

This morning My Reilley had his rattle snake booster, What was to be a short visit and under $50.00 turned into over $400.00..

He had various routine medical things to be done at different times through this year.

Most were done today and a yearly check up.

My Reilley lost 1.2 pounds since February, which is good.

During the physical Reilley's vet found a heart murmur. Reilley has an appointment on July 10th for  teeth cleaning and perhaps one tooth removed, she's been keeping an eye on it for the last year. The morning of the appointment he will have his heart exrayed to see  what if any damaged there may be.

Also, during the physical his vet was looking at his eyes and found a fat deposit!  I noticed when cleaning his eyes and adding lubricant, there was a white mark on his left eye. She said it was nothing to worry about, Reilly isn't fat, old but not fat.

His dry dog food alone is $95.00 Per 16 pound bag.  It last him over 6 months.

Are there members whose cats or dogs have heart murmurs?

Reilley is everything to me and now I'm worried sick.

Respected Contributor

My dear @AlsaceGal : While none of my dogs have ever had a hear murmur, I do know that as with humans, some dog heart murmurs are benign.

I will pray that your Reilley has the best possible results, the great love you have for him is obvious and touching.

Please keep us posted, we care. Heart 

Respected Contributor

Re: My Reilley.

[ Edited ]

@AlsaceGal 

Ruby doesn't have a heart murmur that we know of.   I just wanted to say I'm sorry he has the murmur and that it wasn't the visit you were expecting.  I sure hope someone here is familiar with this and can help to ease your mind.💝🌸

I'll keep both of you in my prayers.

I didn't know they made rattlesnake booster shots.  Wow!  Sure wish our vet offered those and copperheads boosters.

Trusted Contributor

One of our dogs was hospitalized recently for diabetes complications.

The last time he was there, the cardiologist discovered a heart murmur.  We had our regular vet check it out afterward and he said it was nothing to worry about.

This time in the hospital, it wasn't even mentioned.  3 of our dogs are actually siblings from the same litter of 8.  4 of them have heart murmurs.  None have any issues and they'll be 10 in June.  

I hope you have Reilley with you for many years to come.  

Honored Contributor

@AlsaceGal.  Veterinarians have become pros at nickel and dimeing pet owners to death.  Sounds like you got the full treatment.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@cheriere 

A few years ago a neighbor notified us that he found a rattle snake on his side of our fence. My dear sweet sister contacted our vet and was told she offers them. There's two shots, the first one and a second. Reilley has a booster every year, it's strong and is given 4-6 weeks apart from his other inoculations. Ask your vet if possible to get one.

Thank you for your kind words.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 

If only it was nickels and dimes.

Esteemed Contributor

@AlsaceGal   I'm sorry you're dealing with this.  I can tell by your post that your sweet dog means the world to you.

My mothers poodle had a heart murmer that he lived with for many, many years.  I'm sorry I can't give you more details as my mom no longer remembers things and would not be able to share her dogs story with me.  I do know that it was something the vet kept an eye on.  It never developed into much of an issue.

Wishing you and Reilley the best.  

Trusted Contributor

@Tori3569 

So far there's no diabetes.
Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: My Reilley.

[ Edited ]

@AlsaceGal 

Thats so interesting to  be able to get the venom to help save our precious pets. I'm glad you could get them for Reilley.😊

I hope some of the posters can help make you feel a little bit better about the murmur.  Believe me, I know how concerned we can get over them.💝