Trusted Contributor

@Sammycat1 

Thank you, this information is invaluable!

These test were never mentioned to me yesterday.

Thank you again.

Regular Contributor

Yes!  My boy Winny has a heart murmur (moderate).  It was discovered last year by MRI and ultrasound after he had herniated disc surgery ($10 K!).

He sees his cardiologist every 6-9 months and takes Vetmedin twice daily.  We do walk him 2-3 times a day (short ones).  He is 12 and naps most of the time.

He sneezes and coughs a little due to a collapsed trachea (occurs a lot in little dogs).

Are we nuts to try to keep him going?  Well, he loves to play, is excited for walks and meals.  (My best friend put her dog to sleep because she didn't want to deal with his skin condition.  Go figure.)

Seannie

Respected Contributor

@Seannie wrote:

Yes!  My boy Winny has a heart murmur (moderate).  It was discovered last year by MRI and ultrasound after he had herniated disc surgery ($10 K!).

He sees his cardiologist every 6-9 months and takes Vetmedin twice daily.  We do walk him 2-3 times a day (short ones).  He is 12 and naps most of the time.

He sneezes and coughs a little due to a collapsed trachea (occurs a lot in little dogs).

Are we nuts to try to keep him going?  Well, he loves to play, is excited for walks and meals.  (My best friend put her dog to sleep because she didn't want to deal with his skin condition.  Go figure.)

Seannie

Seannie, as you say he loves to play, walk and eat, it sounds as though he is happy and enjoying life!  Time passes quickly and when he no longer enjoys these things, that will be a different matter.

How sad and tragic your friend put her dog down because she didn't want to deal with his skin condition. She should have tried to find him another home or a place for him to go in the meantime. You don't get rid of family because of a curable health issue.

Trusted Contributor

@Seannie As long as your boy Winny is active, playful and loves to eat, keep him with you as long as you can.

Thank you for posting, everyone has been helpful explaining what they do for their beloved puppies.

I've copied each one to read again and ask My Reilley's vet about care and test which are offered.

Thank you.

Frequent Contributor

Love to you & Reilley @AlsaceGal.💞

Trusted Contributor

@Snoofy wrote:

Thank you. Love to you.

Frequent Contributor

@AlsaceGal wrote:

@Snoofy wrote:

Thank you. Love to you.