Honored Contributor

Re: What to do about "supposed friend?"

Everyone misunderstands things, says/does the wrong thing, or takes advantage at some point. I'm sure the shoe has been on the other foot at some time in your life, even if you didn't realize it. Just be nice and let her know you don't have time...or as I said earlier, offer to show her how to make it herself. Do you really want to lose a friend over a pie?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bubby Mommy   IMHO, they are not called "friends", they are "users". Time to rid yourself of those who are not adding joy to your life.

Respected Contributor

I would just say " thanks for the apples and things, and I will let you know next time I am baking; probably Thanksgiving". I would make the pie then and tell her you are not sure when you will be baking anymore except for family. She is one rude person...  but she sure likes your 

Honored Contributor

I find some posters are being too critical and ascribing motives that may not exist. The facts: the OP has given the woman apple pies that she had baked, later on, the woman has given apples, flour... to the OP. Her motive may be to receive another pie or, more likely,  it was a thank you gift. A repayment for the OP's generosity. Others have received pies from the OP and given nothing in return, so they will receive a pie in future, but the women who gave apples and flour in return will no longer be receiving a pie. That makes no sense to me.

Honored Contributor

@Bubby Mommy ...............You hit the nail on the head.  She is a user and she will not change.  I dont blame you for being insulted about the sprinkles on the cookies.  Her whole family is following in her foot steps.

If it were me I would not give her anymore freebies.  When she brings you the baking supplies just hand them back and tell her your baking for others has come to a halt.  You dont owe her any other explanation.

Not an easy thing to do but necessary.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I thought about this post. Wow, people are sure quick to condemn, quick to dump a friend.

Maybe it's a simple misunderstanding. A gentle conversation seems like a first step to me. 

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I thought about this post. Wow, people are sure quick to condemn, quick to dump a friend.

Maybe it's a simple misunderstanding. A gentle conversation seems like a first step to me. 

I agree.  Why are people so quick to assume the worst of others?  I myself thought so at first but thinking it over maybe it was just a way of saying thanks for the pies. 

Of course since none of us were there in person we didn't see how the exchange went along with body language.  

If it were me I also would have been taken by surprise and took the gift of ingredients but I would have been annoyed as well.  I would have just given her a call and thanked her for the apples, etc. and told her I probably wasn't going to be making pies this year.....(she doesn't have to know if you make them for your own family).  I would make sure that she knew that making them is very time consuming and labor intensive which you just can't do this year.

It's not a reason to stop a friendship unless she's constantly assuming that you are going to be doing things for her.  

Now I'm in the mood for a home made apple pie!!  I wonder if I can make a low carb version?

Honored Contributor

Is it any wonder people are hesitant to offer anything to anyone when, home made food is sent to a landfill and thank you apples are seen as a demand for a pie from a user.  

Trusted Contributor

@Bubby Mommy Could you share your apple pie recipe with us?

Super Contributor

I think you know she's no friend. Tell her how you feel, and avoid her like the plague.