Respected Contributor

Re: Potty Training! Any recommendations?

Potty training...I wish that was the issue I have with my 39-year-old son. (He stopped wetting himself 30+ years ago Woman Very Happy)

I wonder if he started again after he got married because his wife is a real piece of work.

Honored Contributor

Kids don't have control over anything except pottying and eating. 

Parents need to stop stressing about both. And don't let the kids know these bother you!

I let my kids take the lead. They felt they had some power. They were stubborn until they weren't. I didn't care and never showed any concern or angst.

At some point, each child and I went to the store and bought underpants - whatever they wanted. But they couldn't wear them until they didn't need diapers. It was all done matter of fact.

Each of my kids made the decision one day and never needed a diaper after that. It was so easy on me. 

Honored Contributor

I first two children..one girl, one boy were potty trained way before their 2nd birthday.  As soon as they woke up with a dry diaper, it was time to train.

My third, a boy took a bit longer.  

I started buying diapers that were too small.  They were not comfortable.   Then I bought underwear that the kids loved....Barbie, Disney Princesses, He Man, Ninja turtles, etc.

The kids wanted to wear them ASAP.  I told them they were only for big girls and boys.  

I then explained a week later that they were now too big for diapers and they did not sell bigger ones to fit them anymore.  They were now big kids.

When I ran out of diapers, I put on their underwear.  My daughter had a few accidents, but my oldest boy never did.  I was in a panic because we ran out of diapers on a Sunday morning getting ready for church.  He stayed dry in church and forever.

My youngest had some issues.  He took longer, but he was trained at about 25 months. He had a few accidents, but not many.

Kids hate to be wet.  Wet diapers feel dry. Wet underwear is wet and cold.

I never used pull ups...just underwear.  They learned quicker that way.  It's better to do this on a weekend when you have time and can stay home. My two oldest learned over a weekend.

Bottles were no issue.  My first got thrush when she was around 18 months old....I threw out the bottles.

My boys never were allowed to walk around or sleep with a bottle, so they never got attached to them.

My children also never used a pacifier.  I received some as shower gifts and threw them out.

I potty trained one of my granddaughters this way too.  Was easy.

As long as diapers and pull ups are comfortable, they have no desire to use the potty.

Honored Contributor

The reward system.  1 little piece of candy was what I used.  We'd also applaud and make a big deal of everytime he did it.  My dad came out of the bathroom one time, and our son appauded him.  LOL