Honored Contributor

It's been many decades since we had a potty chair in our house. DGD has started toilet training so I want to get a little potty for her to use here.  I want something that will sit on the floor, not a seat to fit over the big toilet or the seat with steps.  I'm looking at a couple on Amazon, but wanted to see if there are any recommendations from our young moms before I proceed  

TIA

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Potty Chair Recommendations

@JeanLouiseFinch  In our experience, the grands wanted to sit on the regular toilet, like the rest of the family. They used a potty seat on top of the toilet seat or just sat on the regular seat, with us holding on to their hands. We let them see us going to the toilet, and they learned from there. The separate potties just didn't work.

Respected Contributor

I second the recommendation of using a ring reducer on the toliet rather than using a potty chair.  Your grandaughter will eventually have to use a regular toliet so it is one less step in training to start on the toliet and you won't have to deal with cleaning the potty chair. 

Contributor

We bought The First Disney Minnie Mouse 2 in 1 Potty Training Toilet for our 2 yr old GD. It has two buttons to push that play a flushing sound and cheering which excites her when she uses the potty. The toilet seat can be used on an adult toilet when she transitions to bigger potty. We tried to get her to use adult potty even after seeing mommy use the toilet but she's not interested. She loves having her own toilet. We bought at Target a while back so I don't remember the price. It is 20% off at Amazon right now for $29.67.  You might want to check it out. Of course, Amazon has several different ones to choose from. Best of luck with the training. It seems summer is the best time to start this. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would get or use whatever type the child is learning on and using at home. Potty training is best when it's consistent. If toddler is using the regular toilet by some means at home while being trained, then it might be confusing or unappealing for them to use one on the floor.  

My idea would be to ask the mom or dad to suggest what to get for your house to help with training. 

Toilet training is smoother when it all looks and feels the same for the toddler. They just have to figure out how to control their body functions, not how the "equipment" looks or works differently in different locations. just an idea to consider. 

I'm sure it will be very successful in your house no matter what you provide for the child. Toddlers loved to show off their new growing up skills for grandma. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gizmogal wrote:

I would get or use whatever type the child is learning on and using at home. Potty training is best when it's consistent. If toddler is using the regular toilet by some means at home while being trained, then it might be confusing or unappealing for them to use one on the floor.  

My idea would be to ask the mom or dad to suggest what to get for your house to help with training. 

Toilet training is smoother when it all looks and feels the same for the toddler. They just have to figure out how to control their body functions, not how the "equipment" looks or works differently in different locations. just an idea to consider. 

I'm sure it will be very successful in your house no matter what you provide for the child. Toddlers loved to show off their new growing up skills for grandma. 

@gizmogal That was my thinking too, and I I did this.  They have something called a Fryda.  It costs around $60 and is a floor style.  They weren't too fussy on us getting the same exact one, just that it's the floor kind.  TBH, I wasn't so keen on spending $60 for something that won't get a ton of use.  The one I like the best, on Amazon, looks like a little toilet with a tank.  The tank is non functional but has a cutout where books or wipes can go and the seat has part that can come off and used as a topper on the big toilet. There's also a handle/button that can make a flushing sound.  It's about $35.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  My DIL had one of these (or very similar).  I think it made them more interested if they could mimic using a toilet like the parents or older siblings.  IT was easily moved when not in use. When they traveled, she had a foldaway plastic cover that made the toilet opening smaller so the child could sit on the toilet that came with a plastic pouch for storage.

Jool Baby Potty Training Ladder

71RN6prZUCL._AC_SX522_.jpg

51GFQM262tL._AC_SX522_.jpg

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2  That ladder style is what I originally considered.  I liked the collapsible aspect.  Mom and Dad believe she will feel more secure with her feet on the floor so they went with the traditional style.  I'm going along with their wishes.  It's not something to make an issue over.  That folding insert is a very good idea too!  

Respected Contributor

It's been a long time since potty training.  Used a regular toilet with a potty training seat.  

Honored Contributor

I ordered one this morning.  It'll be here Wednesday. If I've chosen poorly, I can return and get a different one. 🤷‍♀️

IMG_2293.jpeg