Respected Contributor

@KingstonMom wrote:

@HLP 

I almost said the same thing, our adult daughter has moved back home after a long and nasty divorce and she pays no rent, nor anything towards food.

The day will never come that I can't afford to put a roof over her head and food to eat.

And she is not 'disabled', just working really hard to get back on her feet.

And we're happy to help her!

@KingstonMom @Agree as long she is saving and working to be on her own someday. 

Honored Contributor

The whole situation....

- a mom sharing the family's personal and financial business (complaining) at church

- others either involving themselves or eavesdropping 

- gossiping about it elsewhere 

🤦‍♀️

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 

Perhaps you shouldn't be judging fellow posters. 

The OP shared a public conversation she overheard, not giving names or city, or even  state.

Private conversations are held in private.

Respected Contributor

Re: Opinion wanted

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@reiki604 

Perhaps you shouldn't be judging fellow posters. 

The OP shared a public conversation she overheard, not giving names or city, or even  state.

Private conversations are held in private.

Perhaps you shouldn't be sitting in judgement of other posters either whose opinions are just as valid as yours and are none of your business, Once again, perhaps spending more time in prayer and meditation would leave less time for eavesdropping and gossiping. I'm also wondering why it took you almost 6 weeks to attack my post when you are here much more frequently.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Re: Opinion wanted

[ Edited ]

Too much we don't know about the family's circumstances to impose our opinion on whether the son can keep his foodstamps or not. I am inclined to say they are his to do with as he wishes unless the family is destitute or something. $35 is too little to quibble about.

Respected Contributor

I wonder where this person lives? $35 a month...that is extremely low.

Valued Contributor

The mother could have been asking for advice and/or prayer about her situation - Not necessarily "complaining"

Second, I personally know people who get $1,600 a month in disability from SS, in addition to Medicaid and Food Stamps.

Third, we don't know the extent of the son's disability, nor the financial situation of his mother's household.

For all we know, the mother is being generous by only asking for $200, plus $35 to help with groceries.

Of course, we don't know all of the details, so it's hard to form or offer an opinion based on scant information.

Respected Contributor

@Jaspertimes wrote:

My opinion is that I wouldn't repeat anything I overheard at church of a personal nature.

that ship has sailed

Trusted Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

Overheard this conversation after church and wanted opinions. Mom was saying grown son lives at home and pays $200 monthly. Son is on disability and gets $35 monthly in food stamps. His mom feels she should be using the food stamps to purchase food for the family. The stamps would be an additional help as the $200 is not much.

I'm kind of jumping in here kind of late, but I wanted to explain some things about the food stamp situation to kind of clarify how they work.

The son is entitled to them, if he applied for them for himself and he qualified for them. From my understanding, then he should be using them himself. 

His Mother would be entitled to also use them if he included her in the household as another family member and indicated that he was living with her in the same household, when he applied for the the food benefits.

We hear about people misusing different types of benefits, but there are ways of cross-checking for misuse and it may take awhile for them to get caught up, but they eventually do so.

Valued Contributor
Ouch. Tough conversation for a mother of an adult with a disability and to overhear at church.
I have an adult son with a disability who lives with me. I wouldn't want to poke a hole in his privacy nor degrade him. I love him and help care for his needs. It's no one's care/business.
And this is the example, here it is on a chat for others to comment on.
Sad.