Honored Contributor

The food stamps are his, period. She should talk to her son if she can't do it on the current amount but I can't imagine he gets much in disability. 

Mom needs to stop talking negatively about her son to others. Let him have a little dignity and self-respect.

Mom sounds like a self-imposed martyr.

Respected Contributor

I know nothing about food stamps nor do I care....

Respected Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

Overheard this conversation after church and wanted opinions. Mom was saying grown son lives at home and pays $200 monthly. Son is on disability and gets $35 monthly in food stamps. His mom feels she should be using the food stamps to purchase food for the family. The stamps would be an additional help as the $200 is not much.

Shame on Mom!! charging your child to  live in your home. Glad you arent my Mom.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know how anyone could or would make a comment about this.  The full financial and disability situation with this son and his family is not known, and it's really no one's business outside of the family.

Honored Contributor

I know nothing about how disablility or food stamps work. Not sure why the mother would be discussing this subject with others. Seems like a personal situation involving her family and not appropriate to discuss with church friends.

Respected Contributor

Maybe it would be informative if the American Public knew how food

stamps work .. My daughter gets them .... no paper products .. no

pet food and there are a lot of things they do no cover ... No pre-prepared

foods ... no hot food ....

After all its your tax money ....

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe Right. That was my thought too. Attending a religious service and then talking about her son's food stamps. Did her a lot of good, huh?

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

That would be illegal actually.

Furthermore son is presumably buying food for himself with the food stamps thus reducing the amount the mom pays for his food.

And how sad that the mom is even talking to people about this.  After church yet.

Illegal activity yes.  But that's what happens when money is handed out freely without monitoring.  

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Not enough info.    What is the nature and severity of his disability?    Is his mother collecting government assistance for being his caregiver?   

So many unanswered questions of the situation BUT still no one should be repeating or judgment being made.  On top of all that, you are at church so check your bible for "advice" on this topic.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opinion wanted

[ Edited ]

@Big Joanie wrote:

Maybe it would be informative if the American Public knew how food

stamps work .. My daughter gets them .... no paper products .. no

pet food and there are a lot of things they do no cover ... No pre-prepared

foods ... no hot food ....

After all its your tax money ....

@Big Joanie  

Thanks for the short tutorial in food stamps. I've never seen any and had no idea there were limitations. Delighted to read briefly about them!

Imagine it is humbling enough to live with his mother for $200/month. I agree with others who feel the measly $35 worth of food stamps belong to him to spend on himself only. It won't go far for one person each month, especially if he is diabetic and needs fresh orange juice all of the time. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.