Frequent Contributor

Re: How would you handle or not handle a lack of hygiene in a adult child?

I think obviously the wife hasn't tried or not succeeded. You've been around her and know her habits. I'm outspoken but telling someone they are dirty or stinky breath is hard. However, I would tell your son privately. Have a little chit chat with him and maybe it will help. Has he gone to the dentist? Important issue.
Contributor

I'm struggling with taking care of everything now as you mentioned. And yes, I can absolutely see it being easier with your child than your mom. She turns on the game show network on tvland where the shows are from the late 70's but she thinks it's real time. When I mentioned every single person on these shows are passed away. You would have thought I slapped her in the face! I'm having a very hard time with compassion & patience and I'll admit I fail on any given day but then I'm overwhelmed with emotion bc when I lose her I'll want to go back and take care of her. Sorry it took me so long to respond. I'm sending good juju your way for better days.. 

Valued Contributor

Well, at 31 he's an adult. We Cannot and I say again, we cannot continuing mothering adults. If he hasn't learned cleanliness is a plus then nothing you have said has stuck. He will eventually be told or shunned by co workers or friends or Lack Of Them.
On a serious note, it is a symptom of a deeper issue. Are their other signs or things going on you don't know?
If he's married then his wife knows or doesn't care or shared his ideal of functioning.
I'm sure your embarrassed or upset but he's adult. You cannot baby an adult. It just doesn't work.