Regular Contributor

Re: How Does Your Son's Girlfriend or Your Daughters Boyfriend Address You?

First names are fine and I wouldn't have it any other way! We're not living in the days of Beaver Cleaver! 🤪😂 

One of my nephews, for whatever reason, has never called his dad, "Dad"... he calls him, and refers to him, by his first name, since he was a child ... so funny! He is now 30! 😂 Although, now that I think of it, my 2nd son does this to his dad, on occasion, too! 🤷‍♀️

Trusted Contributor

The question is how were they introduced? Surely she would only know their first names if their son provided them. In which case, they should address their irritation with him.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

My kids' girlfriends and boyfriend all called me Mrs. X.  I was fine with that!

They all met their future spouses in their early 20's and I would have been fine with them calling me Mrs. X.  However, we somehow were on a first name basis.

I love being called Mrs. X by anyone and everyone.  I cringe when some one calls me Miss X, like when I'm being called into a doctor's office.  I'm not a 'Miss', but I don't expect them to know that.  Half the time I'm not even wearing a wedding ring....  But again, I love being called Mrs. X.

I always called my MIL Mrs. and even though she's long gone, I still refer to her as Mrs.  I remember her telling me to call her 'Mom'.  No way!  So from that point on, I never said any kind of salutation, so no Mrs. and no Mom!

My husband immediately started calling my parents 'Mom and Dad and Aunt' so and so, etc.  Ha!  My parents were not wild about my husband in the beginning.  I think that's why I was!  But they love him now like a son.

I know kids nowadays are calling women 'Miss so and so' and I honestly don't like it.  I'd rather just be called by my first name or by Mrs. X.

'Miss' just sounds weird to me.

Respected Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

@cuddlesmama Or they don't address you as anything.

@panda1234. ...My DIL of 25 years has never addressed me by name.  I don't  know why.  My SIL uses my first name and I sign cards to her using my first name.  She just starts talking about whatever she was going to say.  Weird

@Winkk yes, that is exactly how it is. I think this is more common than we know.  

Honored Contributor

Our son's GF always addressed us as Mr and Mrs.  As they approached 20 years old, as we met them we told them they could use our first names if they were comfortable.

Respected Contributor

I would ask how they'd like to be addressed. When I got married, we tried having me address them bytheir first names. But none of us felt comfortable with that and I ended up addressing them as Mom and Dad, and we all liked it. 

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

When you first met them? Such as Mr/Mrs (last name) or by your first name?

My girlfriend met her son's girlfriend for the first time at Christmas and she  addressed them by their first name. My girlfriend thinks this in inappropriate and should  of been addressed as Mr/Mrs. The girlfriend gave them a Christmas card and it said Merry Christmas using their first names.(the parents)                                                                    

What do you think? Is his girlfriend being disrespectful? The son is 42 and the girl is 37 so these people are not teenagers. 

@cuddlesmama Please tell me that at that advanced age of 37 she at least was wearing her girdle and stockings. . . 

Super Contributor

My son's fiance started calling me Mama and at first I thought it weird because it reminded me of that show Mama's Family, but it has grown on me and I'm starting to find it endearing.
Trusted Contributor

This is also regional.

In Tennessee, people younger than my mom would say Miss Sara.

In California, no one would ever address her as Miss Sara.

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

When you first met them? Such as Mr/Mrs (last name) or by your first name?

My girlfriend met her son's girlfriend for the first time at Christmas and she  addressed them by their first name. My girlfriend thinks this in inappropriate and should  of been addressed as Mr/Mrs. The girlfriend gave them a Christmas card and it said Merry Christmas using their first names.(the parents)                                                                    

What do you think? Is his girlfriend being disrespectful? The son is 42 and the girl is 37 so these people are not teenagers. 

When I first met my MIL, I wasn't 100% sure how to say my husband's last name so when he said, "This is my mom",  I said "Hi Mom".  I never called her by her first name, ever.

I think your friend is overreacting.  Because of their ages, I don't see this as disrespectful.  If they were teenagers, it would be different, but as adult, contributing members of society, they're more on an even plane now.

When we met our DIL, she was in her twenties and called us by our first names.  It didn't bother us at all.  They've been married a little over four years and she just called me "mom", for the first time, last week.  (Music to my ears)

My first meeting with our SIL was a bit of a coincidence.  DD & I were shopping and he showed up at the same store.  He was also in his late twenties at the time.  It was very informal, each of us just saying "hi"and having a few minutes of small talk.  Then he began calling me by my first name.  The day they married, I became mom.