Respected Contributor

Engagement party gifts

[ Edited ]

Just found out I will be going to a surprise engagement party in one week....I have no idea what to take as a gift. It is for my best friend's daughter and her fiancé. I have never met him. Would anything other than flowers be appropriate? The party will be at a nice restaurant. Please help me with some ideas! 

Respected Contributor

I don't think a gift is mandatory for an engagement party. If you want to take a gift, I would choose a classic photo frame for engagement or wedding photo. 

Honored Contributor

Next it will be a shower gift, then a wedding gift.  How many gifts are really appropriate or required for one wedding?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I don't think a gift is necessary. I'd save the gift giving for the shower and wedding.

Valued Contributor

I have never been to a surprise engagement party (plenty other surprise parties) this sounds like fun.  I agree on the photo frame as a gift or a candle, champagne (if they drink) champagne flutes, something small and simple for the engagement party because you will be invited to a bridal shower and  the wedding.

Respected Contributor

Since you asked though, see if they have a registry set up and go from there. Also, having a plan might be a good idea (ie engagement party - something fun, shower - something practical, wedding - something sentimental)

Honored Contributor

I've been to a few engagement parties. I've never taken a gift. One was a small party thrown by the mom. I did ask her if I could bring something (food). She said she was fine. 

I'm friends with the parents - most of the time the future brides, and once the future groom. For a lot of them DD was in the wedding.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Next it will be a shower gift, then a wedding gift.  How many gifts are really appropriate or required for one wedding?

@Kachina624 

It depends if it's close family, close friends or aquatints. Family its engagement, shower and wedding.

Respected Contributor

I for one am not a believer in engagement parties.  My mom wanted me to have one (in 1978) and I refused.  THere will be showers and then the wedding itself.  Engagement IMO should be a casual, close friend/family affair.  

Trusted Contributor

I just can't bring myself to go anywhere I'm invited without a little something. Especially if it's my best friend's son or daughter--I've known them since they were born.
 In this case, I'd probaby bring an engagement card with a gift card to a local restaurant or store like homegoods or target or somewhere they have a registry.