Trusted Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Kids will also just play that game because they can.

Will only eat this.  Won't eat that.  One day they like it, the next they push the plate away.

Won't eat the crusts on bread, won't eat anything that's grilled and turned brown (like mac and cheese, pizza, edges of a grilled cheese sandwich). 

Will watch the parents cut away everything that's *brown*.  Ridiculous because the kids will eat chocolate chip cookies, etc.

It's just a game.  And I've seen it first hand. I won't play that game.

You sound like my mother who enjoyed punishing me when I transgressed with food. Gave me a ED that I still wrestle with at 57.

Honored Contributor

Kids have control over very little in life. It doesn't take much for them to realize eating and potty training are two things they can control. 

Never never never let a child know you're stressing about their eating.

Do not become a short order cook. I fixed one meal. I tried to fix things the kids would like but it was not my sole focus. If a child didn't like what's served, peanut butter and jelly were available. I never argued if a child went for that instead of dinner. 

Relax. The kid won't go hungry for long. Nature will take over and they'll figure it out.

Valued Contributor

When my son was about six he wouldn't eat anything that wasn't orange.  When we went for his wellcheck that year his doctor was talking to him and only having me validate his answers.  He told her with a lot of pride he was only eatting orange things.  She told him there were other really good foods that weren't orange that she thought he would like.  She made him promise and then shake her hand that he would try new stuff.  He is 22 years old now and he is so curious about food.  I thank Dr. Collum everyday.  

Frequent Contributor
It looks like this is an old post, but I hope that little girl did finally start eating more substantially. I know this kind of issue is frustrating as a parent, but it’s not fun for the kid either.

When I was about the same age, I also had an eating issue. I don’t know why, but somehow I became terrified that I was going to choke on my food, and I wouldn’t eat anything. My pediatrician told my mother it was all in my head, and I remember her getting angry and yelling at me about it. My sister later told me my mother was convinced I was just trying to get attention. I don’t think it lasted very long, but it forever affected my eating. I chew a LOT, I will not eat without a drink, and it usually takes me much longer to finish my meal than everyone else.

When I was a teenager, I began to have anxiety problems, which - again - my mother thought was an attention ploy. I can assure you it was not. I would have given anything not to feel the way I did, but I also learned how to deal with that in my own way.

I guess my point is, it’s easy to blame the child in this situation and just think they are being difficult or trying to get their own way. Sometimes that is true, but sometimes there is more going on that what you may think.
Valued Contributor
What the heck kind of situation is that????
Yeah....nutrition is the concern. Brain development for one.
There are many ways to go but it starts with the pediatrician.
Oh my goodness. Parents today just go with the flow. Where's the responsibility for care and development?
SMH.
Honored Contributor

Parents often make matters worse. When parents get upset or worry, kids know it. Relax.

Kids can't control much but they can control what they eat. Kids aren't going to go hungry for long.

I was never a short order cook and never substituted ice cream or treats for a meal. I did put peanut butter and bread on the table as an alternative. But that was it.

One of my kids decided he was a vegan at age 4, except for pepperoni and cheese on pizza. LOL. It didn't last long.