Super Contributor

@pdlinda Thank you for your kind words about my dad.Heart

The windfall was definitely a surprise!

He was very financially savvy and passed that on to the four of us kids. 

Now that I am retired, I appreciate all of the advice he gave me over the years about investing. It has paid off!

Sounds like you got some sound advice, too!

Wish my generation would have passed more of that on. 

Have a financially fabulous 2024!!!Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

I told my daughter to pay rent when she moved home from college and got a job.  She refused and said I was awful to charge her rent.  I wanted to save it and give it to her when she moved out.  I wasn't going to charge a lot, just something so she got used to paying rent.  As far as I was concerned, she lost out.

Honored Contributor

I lived at home until I was in my mid 30's and was never asked for a dime. I did the cooking and the laundry while my mother worked full time. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

This is somethg curiously American. I would put it up there with baby showers.  (nobody outside the U.S. has baby showers) In Europe, nobody charges their kids with rent.  They usually live with the parents still they marry.  I wasn't born here.  My parents never charged any of us with rent.  We did a lot of chores.  I did laundry, sometimes I cooked, etc.  My brother did the same.  He did all the yard work.  We also worked out of the house.  I saved my money.  When I got married, I purchased a house.  I never lived in an apartment throwing away money for rent. Same with all my siblings.  None of us ever moved out and lived in apartments. 

Trusted Contributor

@songbird wrote:

This is somethg curiously American. I would put it up there with baby showers.  (nobody outside the U.S. has baby showers) In Europe, nobody charges their kids with rent.  They usually live with the parents still they marry.  I wasn't born here.  My parents never charged any of us with rent.  We did a lot of chores.  I did laundry, sometimes I cooked, etc.  My brother did the same.  He did all the yard work.  We also worked out of the house.  I saved my money.  When I got married, I purchased a house.  I never lived in an apartment throwing away money for rent. Same with all my siblings.  None of us ever moved out and lived in apartments. 

That is not true..

“Children do not start wars, and they cannot end them, but they always pay the highest price.”  Catherine Russell, UNICEF Executive Director
Honored Contributor

100% -- I did charged for rent-----It covered food as well as extra utilities. And they paid for any extra items that they wanted

Respected Contributor

Re: Charging rent

[ Edited ]

My mom, estranged from my dad and probably not getting any assistance, asked me for some help when I needed shelter during a somewhat extended period when I needed to write my final thesis.  About six months.

I told her I couldn't at the moment pay (I was between fellowships and in debt) but I would pay her back as soon as I could.....and I did. 

We found out that year that, in his fifties. he had early Alzheimers.  She was so generous and loving--hated to ask but didn't know where to turn. Two of my brothers always helped her....and we were buying a condo together when she suddenly died.  I had hoped to support her as she had supported me b/c I finally had a stable job.. 

(My dad supported her as long as he was able.  Early Alzheimers ran in his family, but we didn't know until later.)

Honored Contributor

Too many parents enable their grown kids.  

Super Contributor

@m0rgan @Major Shopper  

My parents collected 25% of my salary for 2 years after I graduated from high school until I moved out.  I was working  full-time and going to school part-time at the University.  I thought this was more than fair, especially since they were saving it for when I got married. 

Surprise ...., when I got married, I discovered it had all gone to pay my younger sister's private college tuition and board and room.  

Didn't work out so well for me.  

However, when a friend's daughter moved into our house when going to school.  I charged her $100/month rent and invested it.  When she got married almost 10 years later she had enough money to buy all new furniture.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Charging rent

[ Edited ]

My parents charged me rent since I was 18.  First $100 a month, then it went to $200.  I stayed at home, late, until I was about 26.  It taught me a lot.  The rent was fair.  I did not pay for groceries.  I worked a lot, and had some chores, but not a lot.  I had to pay my own car insurance.  Meals were ready if I wanted when I came home from work, my mom did most of my laundry.

I thought, possibly when I moved out, they may have given me the amount. They didn't, but it was ok.  I lived cheaply at home, have taken some wonderful trips and vacations during those years.  Vacations I know I could not have afforded had I had an apartment.  Most of my friends did not get to travel, lived on very cheap groceries.  I felt blessed that I learned a lot, saved, and had many fun times also.