Honored Contributor

Re: What do yuu think of lab created diamonds?

[ Edited ]

@CalminHeart wrote:

I'd rather have moissanite. I have a number of pieces, some as old as 20 years, and they are still bright and clear and no one can tell they aren't diamonds.

Isn't moissanite lab created?

(It always looks kind of green to me.)

Respected Contributor

I like natural diamonds.  If I want a diamond ring (haven't purchased one yet)- I could go down to my favorite trusted pawn shop where I get my gold and gemstone jewelry at really great deals.  I'm not a rich girl- and the benefit of pawn shops is I can get something within my budget and put it on lay away and pay for it over time. The pawn shop I go to has beautiful gold gemstone and diamond jewelry at great prices. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SportyShorty07 wrote:

I like natural diamonds.  If I want a diamond ring (haven't purchased one yet)- I could go down to my favorite trusted pawn shop where I get my gold and gemstone jewelry at really great deals.  I'm not a rich girl- and the benefit of pawn shops is I can get something within my budget and put it on lay away and pay for it over time. The pawn shop I go to has beautiful gold gemstone and diamond jewelry at great prices. Smiley Happy

Pawn shops are amazing aren't they.  If I wanted a gold necklace or something I would look at the pawn shops first.  It is amazing what you can find.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I'd rather have moissanite. I have a number of pieces, some as old as 20 years, and they are still bright and clear and no one can tell they aren't diamonds.

Isn't moissanite lab created?

(It always looks kind of green to me.)

Yes it is lab created and beautiful.  I have purchased moissanite from JTV Charles Winston and from Shoplc and my pieces are lovely.  Sparkle more than diamonds and they are crystal clear no green at all.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Pretty but worthless. 

Everyone does not purchase jewelry to resale.  

No but it's a good idea sometimes for what you leave behind as estate value.  Fine jewelry is worth money.

Yes you are right, I have seen lovely pieces in pawn shops so I know the seller got something for them.  

Honored Contributor

@barrel racer wrote:

To me they aren't diamonds.  Kinda like vegan leather.

Vegan leather is plastic. A lab diamond is a diamond, just not one from the earth.

Honored Contributor

From what I have read, lab grown diamonds are the exact same thing that comes out of the ground. I would absolutely buy a lab grown diamond and has been looking at them recently with that in mind.
Honored Contributor

Here's a F, VS2 4-ct diamond ring. What would it cost if it was a natural diamond? More than most people could afford I'm sure.

$8,000

https://www.qvc.com/brilliant-rose-by-fire-light-lab-grown-4c00ttw-ring%2C-14k-gold.product.J432492....

Honored Contributor

I would never spend the money on a real diamond or lab created one.  I'm fine with cubic Z or moissanite.  Many look just as good and 98% of the population can't tell the difference anyway.

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Here's a F, VS2 4-ct diamond ring. What would it cost if it was a natural diamond? More than most people could afford I'm sure.

$8,000

https://www.qvc.com/brilliant-rose-by-fire-light-lab-grown-4c00ttw-ring%2C-14k-gold.product.J432492....

********************************************************************************

That is the way I see it.  You have stones with the same 4 C's, one is $10,000 and the other is $50,000.  It's exciting that you can obtain something you may not have been willing to purchase at the higher price of a natural stone.

If I were considering my heirs in my purchase I would take the $10,000 stone and do something else with the $40,000 to grow it.

libby's folly