Honored Contributor

Re: What do yuu think of lab created diamonds?

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Pretty but worthless. 

Everyone does not purchase jewelry to resale.  

No but it's a good idea sometimes for what you leave behind as estate value.  Fine jewelry is worth money.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I own lab diamond stud earrings and I love them. If they were natural diamonds of that quality, I couldn't afford them. They do not look like CZs or Moissanite b/c they are diamonds and nothing sparkles like a diamond.

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I own lab diamond stud earrings and I love them. If they were natural diamonds of that quality, I couldn't afford them. They do not look like CZs or Moissanite b/c they are diamonds and nothing sparkles like a diamond.

I agree. If I were in the market for studs I'd go with lab-created. More ear sparkle for the buck. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is so much misinformation in this thread.  Do your research.  Lab diamonds are REAL diamonds grown in a lab.  They are graded and appraised just like a real diamond.  They aren't "worthless."  They have value and will appraise for a replacement cost just like a mined diamond. Only a jeweler can tell if a diamond is lab-grown.  Appraisals will often indicate if a diamond is lab-grown.  They cost less than mined diamonds and boast many ecological advantages besides financial. I wish people would understand these concepts and when referring to the two types, call them what they are:  mined or lab-grown.

Regular Contributor

Sorry, but they are they expensive everywhere. Jewelry stores carry them too. It's not just about how c they look, it's the hardness of the stone too. You do know you can buy cz if the price bothers you.
Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

There is so much misinformation in this thread.  Do your research.  Lab diamonds are REAL diamonds grown in a lab.  They are graded and appraised just like a real diamond.  They aren't "worthless."  They have value and will appraise for a replacement cost just like a mined diamond. Only a jeweler can tell if a diamond is lab-grown.  Appraisals will often indicate if a diamond is lab-grown.  They cost less than mined diamonds and boast many ecological advantages besides financial. I wish people would understand these concepts and when referring to the two types, call them what they are:  mined or lab-grown.

Thank you. There's a lot of misinformation on this thread. 

Esteemed Contributor

To me they aren't diamonds.  Kinda like vegan leather.

Respected Contributor

Not sure about the lab created ones. Would have to check with a reputable jeweler in person for more information.

Honored Contributor

My opinion would be based on how they would be appraised years and years down the road.  Like when I'm not here anymore.  Also, can trained jewelers and or gemologists readily tell them apart?  So, no, I'm not buying them.  By the way, if I see a lab created clear sapphire or ruby I know its not real.  I look for cloudiness and inclusions.  

Respected Contributor

@LisaMofSLC - Lab-created diamonds are not for me. I wouldn't mind paying a few hundred dollars for one, but these are priced in the thousands. If I am going to pay in the thousands of dollars, I would want to have genuine diamonds. (Of course, that opinion may also be partly due to the fact that diamond is my birthstone.)

There is nothing wrong with CZs for the purpose of simulating a diamond look in my opinion. I would much rather pay the price for a CZ than many thousands of dollars for a lab-created diamond, or even for moissanite. I have nothing against lab-created diamonds (or moissanite) other than their price point.