Honored Contributor

Re: What do yuu think of lab created diamonds?

I know probably a lot of them are very pretty but if I were wanting a real diamond, then a lab created one would not make me happy!  For instance, I would not want one of these for a diamond engagement ring.  I understand if a couple gets engaged and they both agree that it's better economically to get a lab created one and then use the money for other expenses, then that's fine.  For myself, personally, I would rather have a piece of jewelry with a smaller real diamond, then to get a much larger lab created one.  I do have faux diamond jewelry in earrings, etc. and I enjoy them.  But for a meaningful item of jewelry, for me, nothing beats a real diamond!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I'd rather have moissanite. I have a number of pieces, some as old as 20 years, and they are still bright and clear and no one can tell they aren't diamonds.

Honored Contributor

I believe lab grown gems are going to be the wave of the future. Mining for gems is so destructive to the earth and enormously expensive for very little payout. They look lovely in person but still way out of my league and I'm not a diamond girl anyway. I have a few small lab gown gems--a ruby and blue spinel---didn't

cost an arm or a leg but the colors are really nice. And I don't care if they are not from the earth. 

Honored Contributor

@LisaMofSLC   No haters, but no matter what is said about lab created diamonds, they're not my preference. I like and want "real" diamonds in my jewelry collection.

Esteemed Contributor

They seem a good product to mimic a status symbol natural diamond.  Better price.  Can't see clinging to natural for any reason if they look the same.

Honored Contributor

If you wanted really shinny earrings, and weren't looking for an investment, lab created diamonds would work for you.  You're paying for the sparkle.

They offer an alternative choice for someone that can't afford diamonds and wants a better sparkle than moissanite.

Valued Contributor

Agree with @wagirl  and think it is the future.   A few years ago De Beers introduced a line of lab grown diamonds called Lightbox, calling it a limited test, they decided that is only for fun jewelry and started up their "Diamonds are forever" campaign again sometime last year.

I have been looking at the rings on Jean Dousset website and found one I would love to have (Elle Pear Three Stone Lab Diamond Engagement Ring).  They have lab grown diamonds you can choose to put into the setting.  The diamonds have GIA certificates and a video that allows you to see the full view of the diamond. I want a radiant cut as the center stone,  as an example for pricing a 3.45 carat F color VS1 radiant stone is $10,300 plus the setting with 2  .25 carat pear diamond side stones is around $3500.  I think it will be hard to buy a stone sight unseen because in person you really see the life of that stone.  For now I am kind of stalled out about ordering online and wondering about pricing changes in the next few years.  The final frontier(?)

I don't find the settings on QVC to be very interesting and you don't know anything specific to the stone that will come in your piece of jewelry.  Stones can be the same carat weight but be so different.

Years ago when we got engaged we shopped for a loose diamond and I was able to find a beautiful  stone and just put it in a tiffany style setting while searching for a setting that I wanted, it took 4 years to find what I wanted!  I still love the choice I made and it's my favorite to this day but I'm ready for second now and a different shaped stone too.  It doesn't bother me at all that the diamonds are lab grown.

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

Pretty but worthless. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I no longer buy diamonds...earth mined or lab created.  I have enough.

Mined diamonds are not rare.  They are being hoarded in Russia so they don't saturate the market which keeps the costs high.

Lab created are the same composition, and less expensive, but still priced too high.

There are so many other gems stones that are more beautiful and more affordable.

We are conditioned to believe that diamonds are the most desired stones which makes people want them.

I see many younger folks wearing sapphires, rubies or other stones in their engagement rings.  My grandmother's engagement ring was two emerald stones and seed pearls.

My younger sister never liked diamonds.  Her engagement ring is a sapphire.

Since I discovered moissanite it sparkles more.  I do not buy regular diamonds or lab created.  You hear so many scary things about mined diamonds, some say blood diamonds.  I do not want any part of that.  However if I was set on getting diamonds I would buy lab created.  Not from Q though.  I purchase moissanite from Shoplc.  Another poster had commented about Shoplc and I am very happy with the moissanite I have purchased from them.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Pretty but worthless. 

Everyone does not purchase jewelry to resale.