Valued Contributor

What do yuu think of lab created diamonds?

[ Edited ]

I'm watching the Fire Light lab-created diamond show, and saw the pricing. Colour me shocked. I mean, in my mind, I would always know it was lab-created, not a real drawn from the Earth stone, so could not see paying so much. I would take a finely made Diamonique stone for a fraction of the price.

Anyone ever buy a lab-created diamond, and were you happy with it?

Respected Contributor

Re: What do yuu think of lab created diamonds?

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

I'm watching the Fire Light lab-created diamond show, and saw the pricing. Colour me shocked. I mean, in my mond, I would always know it was lab-created, not a real dran from the Earth stone, so could not see paying so much. I would take a finely made Diamonique stone for a fraction of the price.

Anyone ever buy a lab-created diamond, and were you happy with it?

I watched a documentary about lab diamonds and was even more shocked!  They've been mixing lab stones in with real ones for years too! 😳 

I wouldn't pay the price they're asking for them either.

Esteemed Contributor

Lab grown diamonds are made either chemical vapor deposition or high pressure high heat method. Both rely on the "seed" of mined diamond.

I have a pair of small studs that I purchased from my jeweler. They were reasonable compared to the mined from earth counterparts.

Honored Contributor

Some jewelry stores won't sell them.  Some do.  Gelm shopping won't sell them.  Either the lab diamonds or the lab color gems.  Those are pretty cheap.  You can get wonderful sapphire/ruby for a fraction of the cost.  compared to lab diamonds, they are a steal.  I gues it's the word diamond.  The earth is swamped with them, but they hold back the load each year.  To keep the price for all natural diamonds higher and higher.  So the lab grown ones follow copy with higher prices too. i never thought too much about them until (after on impulse) I purchased an affinity diamond.  Looked so gorgeous in it special lit box.  You took it out and it looked dimmer.  Then you  I put it next to diamonique.....and I cringed.  QVC will sell you dim diamonds for an arm and leg...and they aren't cheating you.  Women want the real thing. No matter what it looks like.  Diamonds are forever.  Even if gold is  the real money.

Super Contributor

I hear this mantra, "they are the same" and  it makes me sick.

I would rather have DMQ or moissanite or real mined diamonds. 

The mantra is coming from all the markenting people and bloggers, who were gifted items from companies like idyll, the cost of them is ridiculous. I watched documentaries and they say it only take 2-4 weeks, and in video they mentioned 8 hours. I guess it is for smaller sizes. It really is not much effort for lab created something to charge outrageous price.

Esteemed Contributor

I would rather do without than buy lab created or fakes of any kind when it comes to stones or gold. I did wear costume jewelery when I worked but it was limited to necklaces. 

Personal preference only and don't have a lot but love what I do have.

Respected Contributor

I see there's a solitaire for sale on the Q for $8k. I almost choked when I saw that.  I don't know, to me cubic zirconia is good enough. Although I will say I also have real diamond rings, earrings etc too.

Honored Contributor

I no longer buy diamonds...earth mined or lab created.  I have enough.

Mined diamonds are not rare.  They are being hoarded in Russia so they don't saturate the market which keeps the costs high.

Lab created are the same composition, and less expensive, but still priced too high.

There are so many other gems stones that are more beautiful and more affordable.

We are conditioned to believe that diamonds are the most desired stones which makes people want them.

I see many younger folks wearing sapphires, rubies or other stones in their engagement rings.  My grandmother's engagement ring was two emerald stones and seed pearls.

My younger sister never liked diamonds.  Her engagement ring is a sapphire.

Esteemed Contributor

I have not purchased one, and actually have mixed feelings.🤔 Because of how naturally mined diamonds are sometimes unethically sourced,  I think for those who love the LOOK but will not purchase them for humanitarian reasons, this is a GREAT option!👍

However, I think the cost is still somewhat prohibitive given that they are lab grown under pristine conditions; although technically with the same or similar qualities!🥰 They are literally ALMOST perfect; except that they have metal inclusions not seen by the naked eye according to several articles.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

Diamonds are my least favorite gem.  I prefer the colored gems. And I do have mined gems and lab created gems and they look the same to me.  I enjoy them all.

Due to my age I have stopped looking at and buying jewelry; I sure have plenty and my granddaughters are not interested.  I have a great granddaughter who is facinated with the rings on my fingers.  Someone to pass them to maybe but she is only a year old!