Trusted Contributor

Re: Plated jewelry?

[ Edited ]

Screenshot_20240330-143012.png

Interesting thread. I have lots of old technibond from HSN. I love it all. All I have to do is use a jewelry cloth. 

Most of it has real gemstones in it. 

Interestingly, I have been on the hunt for a vermeil wide Omega on eBay. I just bought one yesterday. This was offered to me for less than $18 by the seller. It's 8 mm.

Years ago I found a 10K & SS reversible 3 mm Omega at Kmart on sale for $40. I couldn't buy it fast enough. I still love it. 

***This is from HSN and part of the Belleza line. 

Respected Contributor

@Midmod 

I have some old Technibond pieces Dan Dennis sold me from HSN years ago.  They still look brand new too.  I do believe technibond may have been double what would've been considered vermeil.

Im so glad you mentioned this.  I haven't worn one of my favorite rings made with this in a long time.  Thanks for the reminder.💝🌸

Trusted Contributor
@cheriere
YVW! My mother and I loved Dan Dennis. He had a no nonsense approach to his presentations. Tomorrow I am wearing a beautiful gold san marco style bracelet set with " pink sapphire" CZ. I have the matching earrings. Around 1998, I bought that bracelet from HSN for $77. It was more than I could afford but I fell in love with it. I reluctantly sent it back. I've never forgotten that bracelet. I've found it several times over the years on eBay but wouldn't pull the trigger on it. Well, I finally told myself to just buy it. So I did and also the matching earrings. I want the matching necklace but I can't pay what they want for it. Be glad you have your technibond. It's expensive on eBay!💞
Honored Contributor

Anyone rememeber Erwin Pearl? He sold his costume jewelry here on the Q many years ago. It was nicely done. I still have his rosetta bracelet and it looks as good as the day I bought it.

Vintage Erwin Pearl Goldtone Chain Bracelet | eBay

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee I remember Erwin Pearl and I have two or three of his dog pins (Doxies) that I bought along with a key chain in the early 2000's while traveling.  He had a shop at a couple of big airports.  All pieces are in excellent condition. 

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

@Midmod wrote:
@cheriere
YVW! My mother and I loved Dan Dennis. He had a no nonsense approach to his presentations. Tomorrow I am wearing a beautiful gold san marco style bracelet set with " pink sapphire" CZ. I have the matching earrings. Around 1998, I bought that bracelet from HSN for $77. It was more than I could afford but I fell in love with it. I reluctantly sent it back. I've never forgotten that bracelet. I've found it several times over the years on eBay but wouldn't pull the trigger on it. Well, I finally told myself to just buy it. So I did and also the matching earrings. I want the matching necklace but I can't pay what they want for it. Be glad you have your technibond. It's expensive on eBay!💞

LOL, I remember feeling that same way about the price of some Technibond pieces in the 90s.  I was just starting out and money was tight.

Dan Dennis works for ShopLC now.  He used to be in studio, but now he mostly Skypes in.  I couldn't believe it whenever I saw him.  On that channel you're allowed to send texts in and they may read them on air.  Well I sent one as soon as I saw Dan and he read it!  I was so happy lol.

Honored Contributor

Yes indeed, I have a lot of gold plated and I have not had any problems with it because I'm very careful with how I treat it.  Also I don't wear it often.  It's not forever jewelry.  It will fade over the years.  I had a couple of rings that I did wear a few times a week and the gold did fade from the back where it touched my finger but it took years.  Like 5 or 6 years.   At this stage of my life and with gold prices so high, I don't buy real gold anymore.  Having said that.  When I bought my gold herringbone s couple of years ago, I went with 10k gold because I wanted it to last for a many years.  I should say that there is a difference between gold plated and vermeil.  Vermeil is a very thick coating of gold over sterling and last for many years and can be replated.  

Honored Contributor

Most jewelry is plated in real gold.  White or Rose gold be it 10K, 14K or even 18K, 21K .  I have one 18K tri color one.  When I took it to the jewelers to be fixed.  One of the jewelers wrote down on a note "18K plating gone"  I had it almost 20 years and wore it a lot,.  I decided not to have replated.  It still looks good.  

Trusted Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Most jewelry is plated in real gold.  White or Rose gold be it 10K, 14K or even 18K, 21K .  I have one 18K tri color one.  When I took it to the jewelers to be fixed.  One of the jewelers wrote down on a note "18K plating gone"  I had it almost 20 years and wore it a lot,.  I decided not to have replated.  It still looks good.  

I ordered this Belleza wide Omega very recently for less than $18. I knew it was an HSN Omega even though I never watch anymore. I looked to see if it's still offered but can't find the identical match to it at HSN. What I didn't know and wasn't in the description is that it reversible. I was ecstatic and wore the smooth side Sunday with a bright pink top. The necklace looks to be in near perfect condition. I haven't researched the Belleza line. I assume it's gold over bronze? silver? I will get lots of wear from this and have a velvet lined box shipped to me from my Cleopatra Omega purchase I posted earlier. Are you familiar with this line? 

Screenshot_20240415-124553.png

Frequent Contributor

@MidmodYou're whole post is a quote.