Honored Contributor

@Toots711  Very pretty!

Honored Contributor

@Toots711. We are not allowed to post links to other retail sites.  If you don't remove it, the mods will delete your post.

Click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner to edits your post.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have several pieces of plated jewelry--but plated onto silver mostly. It wears and looks just fine. I have many earrings and chains.  No way could or would spend the the big bucks on gold jewelry--but I did pay for a 10kt gold necklace--bought a lovely south sea golden single pearl pendant and chain---it was more than I normally would  spend but I love the golden pearls and it was to commemorate my divorce finalized March 28 2022. Yes today is my FREEDOM DAY !!!!Heart

Honored Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@Mom2Dogs 

I had to get rid of my real gold omega too.  I'd had it since I was probably twenty and it had been through a lot lol.  I bought a yellow gold plated over SS omega from JTV and an ion plated yellow gold over stainless steel from ShopLC.  That one cost me $9.99 and it looks just like my real one did.  I've had it about five years and not a bit of tarnish or funny smell either.

I think you'd be happy with either.  I hope this helps.💝🌸

Ion plated gold over stainless steel is the best.  I have a piece from HSN years ago and it never tarnishes I love it.  It is my go to piece. As long as it looks like gold and does not tarnish I am happy.  I love the color of gold it does not have to be gold lol.  Have a good day everybodySmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

From before I could even think about paying for gold, I bought several Monet pieces.  They're not real gold anything, but they are so well made that I've never once have anyone realize when I wear them that they aren't genuine gold.  Even the bracelet shows no wear marks.

I no longer have receipts but I'd say my pieces are at least 50 years old.  Lots of Monet is available secondhand.   I love the gold I have, but knowing what I know today, I'd be looking at more old Monet!

Monet is really good.  I have a bracelet I did purchase at an antique store.  I had monet pieces while in high school years ago.  I would love to find my monet charm bracelet.  Those pieces never tarnish.

Honored Contributor

I don't buy plated jewelry. The plating wears off. $1,000 for plated is just plain nuts. 

I don't know what they charge but check out Sarrafdotcom. Their price per gram of 14k is less than most retailers. I've purchased a number of things over the years from them. Their customer service is great too.

Honored Contributor

I still have my 18K 38 gram Omega. Purchased that in early 20's or late 1990's. Well my husband bought it actually.  

I avoid buying gold plated over silver.  It will eventually come off.  Everything is plated now a days and becoming improved too.  14K &18K white and rose are plated to look more white or rose.  So if you have a white or rose wedding set, it was plated over solid gold. I sill don't know what overlay is, but it's supposed to be better then plated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Plated jewelry?

[ Edited ]

The best kind of 'plating' is called vermeil where there is an industry standard of thickness (at least 2.5 microns) and the gold plating has to be over silver, not bronze or any other metal.

'Overlay' is gold plating over brass and that also has to be a certain thickness which is thicker than simple plating which is super thin and can be over any metal.

I have a friend who is a goldsmith and he explained all of that to me one time. I had no idea.

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I don't buy plated jewelry. The plating wears off. $1,000 for plated is just plain nuts. 

I don't know what they charge but check out Sarrafdotcom. Their price per gram of 14k is less than most retailers. I've purchased a number of things over the years from them. Their customer service is great too.

$1000 for a SS plated omega is CRAZY!  I'm sure there may be designers that sell them like that for crazy prices, but I'd never pay that!  I could buy a solid gold for that price.

The plated ones on JTV and ShopLC are always under $100 for SS plated with gold.  The ion bonded are $9.99.  Since the ion bonding process using stainless steel occurs at the molecular level, they wil never tarnish either.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a lot of gold ( lived in Europe and Asia for over a decade) and also have several Monet chains that are over 50 years old. My Monet still looks as good as my gold.