Honored Contributor

Years ago I purchased a 14K gold omega necklace...I loved it and wore frequently, alone and with a pendant.

As time went on the clasp started to fall away from the necklace....it was to expensive to fix so I scraped it...I really miss that piece of jewerly.

I have never had plated jewerly, but am considering a gold plated omega...I do not want to invest $1000.00 +in a gold neckace at this time.

Has anyone had experience with plated jewerly..good or bad, thanks.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I had to get rid of my real gold omega too.  I'd had it since I was probably twenty and it had been through a lot lol.  I bought a yellow gold plated over SS omega from JTV and an ion plated yellow gold over stainless steel from ShopLC.  That one cost me $9.99 and it looks just like my real one did.  I've had it about five years and not a bit of tarnish or funny smell either.

I think you'd be happy with either.  I hope this helps.💝🌸

Honored Contributor

Re: Plated jewelry?

[ Edited ]

@cheriere   Good to know, thank you.

Do you recall how thick your necklace is.  I am thinking 3mm would be ok, I think my original omega was wider.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@cheriere   Good to know, thank you.

Do you recall how thick your necklace is.  I am thinking 3mm would be ok, I think my original omega was wider.

I know JTV has all size omegas.  Seems like I got a 3mm in gold over silver and a 5 mm in straight up silver.

Honored Contributor

I have a steel omega from ShopLC and it's very nice. It's a 16" with a 2" extender. Looks to be around a 4 or 5mm in size. It's not gold plated but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of those b/c the quality is very good.

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a gold plated one.  I have a solid 14k gold omega which I actually won't even wear in public the way things are today.  Many people frown at gold plating over silver but I think the process has become better and better therefore the quality is there.   

Honored Contributor

From before I could even think about paying for gold, I bought several Monet pieces.  They're not real gold anything, but they are so well made that I've never once have anyone realize when I wear them that they aren't genuine gold.  Even the bracelet shows no wear marks.

I no longer have receipts but I'd say my pieces are at least 50 years old.  Lots of Monet is available secondhand.   I love the gold I have, but knowing what I know today, I'd be looking at more old Monet!

Honored Contributor

@millieshops   I recall that brand..it was well made when I was younger and was purchasing that  brand.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops Like you, I bought several Monet pieces of jewelry and it was beautiful. I have some still in my jewelry box. I could pull it out and wear it today and it would look just like new.

I had on a "silver" with clear stone necklace the other day when I went to the doctor. I've had that for many years - I think I bought it at The Limited store so that's been decades!

I have plated jewelry and haven't had any issues with mine.  I bought a coupl of pieces of the "Bronzo" jewelry that QVC was selling but decided that it was too expensive for what it was.  You can find a better buy on JTV or HSN.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs 

I recently ordered a reversible omega necklace (silver and gold) from Infinity Jewelry in Tortola, BVI, a family owned business. My contact was Stephanie Ganga (stephanie@infinityjewelry dot net) who made the ordering process easy.  The necklace comes in 16", 18", and 20". I am pleased with this necklace. 

46AE2778-11FD-4F8A-836A-CF9A041CD46A.jpeg