Honored Contributor

Really gorgeous!

I have a black opal of a decent size that I have had since I was a teenager but it has a small bite out of it--it is an oval too--would love to get it set with maybe another stone to hide or maybe accent that tiny bite----prob into a pendant for me. Lots of jewelry stores around my area--I would start there. I also have a 12 x 10 oval sleeping beauty cab too--would like to do something with that   as well.

Respected Contributor

@wagirl 

I'll bet you could get a jeweler to hide the knick in your opal easily with the framework or another stone.  I love ❤️ sleeping beauty turquoise too, although I only have one ring.

Valued Contributor

It would be pretty in an Etruscan cigar band type ring, that is a lot of gold right now though.  I think it would be pretty in that style with some diamonds bezel set scattered around.

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

Re: OPAL Needs Set

[ Edited ]

@cheriere, This might seem a wee bit random, yet perhaps not.😊
Your thread reminded me of all the years I participated in a fine jewelry booth (one-of-a-kind made by hand) at Nashville's Centennial Park Spring Tennessee Craft Fair (carefully juried and managed by the wonderful Tennessee Craft dot org group).  

It's the first weekend in May and ranks among the top 100 arts fairs in the country.  

You mentioned in other threads that you sometimes enjoy trekking down to the lovely Nashville, so you might enjoy this event and also get some ideas (and perhaps make contact with artists whose work you like).  

I've been immersed in the arts and fine crafts community for most of my life, with countless friends and family who are professional artists, and I like to recommend supporting our local arts community whenever possible. 

The universities and colleges in surrounding areas often have fabulous arts programs with gifted students who would love to show you their work, too.

No doubt in your closer-to-home area you also have artists and/or exhibits that might be inspirational for your design.  

Your opal is quite lovely, and the other images here are beautiful, too.  Wishing you the best in your quest!😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@persiflage wrote:

It would be pretty in an Etruscan cigar band type ring, that is a lot of gold right now though.  I think it would be pretty in that style with some diamonds bezel set scattered around.

I love ❤️ Etruscan and cigar band style jewelry.  Big, bold gold is my favorite.  Thanks for your advice, very good.🌸

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo 

I am so glad you posted this information.😃. You're right, I am in the Nashville area at least every month, sometimes more.  A one of a kind piece is actually why I had kept this put up so long.  I love unique designs and would love working one on one with a craftsman.  I've even saved some extra gold that might be used, as well as a few nice, but small diamonds from a ring I no longer wear.

Im certainly going to look up information regarding this Craft Fair because I think I'll be down there the last Friday in April.  Heck, I'd be more than willing to push my next appointment a week if that means I could go.

Thank you so much for sharing.💝🌸

Respected Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@persiflage wrote:

I love ❤️ Etruscan and cigar band style jewelry.  Big, bold gold is my favorite.  Thanks for your advice, very good.🌸

@cheriere Oh, I have an Etruscan bold gold ring too, I just love it. Can't remember if it was popular in the 90's or early 2000's?

Respected Contributor

@Estellee wrote:

@cheriere wrote:

@persiflage wrote:

@cheriere Oh, I have an Etruscan bold gold ring too, I just love it. Can't remember if it was popular in the 90's or early 2000's?

I think it was popular in both and still is as far as I'm concerned lol.  It's one of my favorite styles.💝🌸

Respected Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@Estellee wrote:

@cheriere wrote:

@persiflage wrote:

I think it was popular in both and still is as far as I'm concerned lol.  It's one of my favorite styles.💝🌸

@cheriere I love it too. We used to find this kind of jewelry down in the Miami Area in some of the jewelry exchanges and The Seybold Building. Quite a few years ago, I was thinking maybe in the 90's. Can't seem to find anything like it anymore.

Respected Contributor

@Estellee wrote:

@cheriere wrote:

@Estellee wrote:

@cheriere wrote:

@persiflage wrote:

@cheriere I love it too. We used to find this kind of jewelry down in the Miami Area in some of the jewelry exchanges and The Seybold Building. Quite a few years ago, I was thinking maybe in the 90's. Can't seem to find anything like it anymore.

I'm sorry you're no longer able to find any there.💝

There was a line of Etruscan style jewelry on JTV, but I can't remember what it's called.  They have an hour periodically.  I will let you know if it comes to mind.  They have some very nice things.🌸