Honored Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@Kachina624 

Thank you 💝🌸. I dug it out the other day after you posted all of those amazing opals lol.  
Even though mine's nowhere near those, I do like it more than my other larger opal.

There's actually a great jeweler here who's made a couple pieces for me, but it's been years ago.  It frightens me the prices he charge to do a big, weighty piece like I'd want lol.  Heck, the price of a thin plain gold semi mount online was crazy.  But, since I'm gonna be spending money I should just get it in what I like instead of what's cheaper.

@cheriere.  I agree as you'll hopefully wear it a long time, and often since it will go with everything.  A little sparkle in the form of a couple diamonds or zircon do a lot for a stone too.  I have a 18 pt diamond on either side of my Australian opal and they really jazz it up.

When I lived in Houston, a friend and I used to go to the International Gem and Jewelry shows in the Astrodome complex.  Hundred of vendors.

You could buy a stone at one booth then go to another and choose a setting and they'd set it for you.  Those were my fun days!  We'd spend all weekend there.  Gold was cheap and great prices on stones.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@Nightowlz 

That's Beautiful 😍❤️. I like this bezel setting very much!  Thanks for posting this.🌸

@cheriere 

It will let the light in to enhance the opal. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: OPAL Needs Set

[ Edited ]

Hi, @cheriere !  Like you, i love opals and have a few in my collection.  The first one I bought on my first trip to Australia in the late 80s,  It's a teardrop featuring blue and green that I had set into a pin/pendant with the diamonds from my first wedding set.  The others were purchased as pieces of jewelry during subsequent trips (I used to travel there a lot on business.  The largest is a pendant, the inverted triangle is an enhancer and both of these are set with diamonds.  The last are bezel set with white south seas pearls in a pair of earrings.

I'll post pictures but it may take me several posts.

IMG_0331.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

IMG_0330.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

IMG_0329.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

IMG_0333.jpeg

In natural light, these look pink.

Respected Contributor

@MJDinVegas 

You're OPALS are EXTRAORDINARY!!!  I LOVE ❤️ each and every piece you posted!!!  What Stunning, Unique Designs!  I LOVE ❤️ everything about each of them!

Thank you so, so very much for sharing these!💝🌸

Trusted Contributor

@cheriere , you're welcome.  I enjoy letting these pieces out of the safe into the light of day and to share their beauty with others!  I've been very fortunate to collect such pieces.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@cheriere wrote:

@Kachina624 

Thank you 💝🌸. I dug it out the other day after you posted all of those amazing opals lol.  
Even though mine's nowhere near those, I do like it more than my other larger opal.

There's actually a great jeweler here who's made a couple pieces for me, but it's been years ago.  It frightens me the prices he charge to do a big, weighty piece like I'd want lol.  Heck, the price of a thin plain gold semi mount online was crazy.  But, since I'm gonna be spending money I should just get it in what I like instead of what's cheaper.

@cheriere.  I agree as you'll hopefully wear it a long time, and often since it will go with everything.  A little sparkle in the form of a couple diamonds or zircon do a lot for a stone too.  I have a 18 pt diamond on either side of my Australian opal and they really jazz it up.

When I lived in Houston, a friend and I used to go to the International Gem and Jewelry shows in the Astrodome complex.  Hundred of vendors.

You could buy a stone at one booth then go to another and choose a setting and they'd set it for you.  Those were my fun days!  We'd spend all weekend there.  Gold was cheap and great prices on stones.

I'd fall in LOVE ❤️ at an event like that!  However, the last ring I had created was back when Gold was very cheap too in the early 2000s.  I love big, bold styles.  I've been stashing a little loot back for having this ring made.  Well, actually, I've got a pear cut morganite that needs set too, but this opal takes precedence lol.

Ive learned my lesson in buying loose stones these days.  It costs more in the long run.

Honored Contributor

East-west bezel with rope edge.

14k Gold East West Bezel Set Opal Necklace – Dandelion Jewelry