Respected Contributor

I've always LOVED & collected Opals, so in 2012 I purchased this loose 12x10mm in hopes of having it set into a creative mounting.  Just wondering if anyone has suggestions in regards to what they may choose?  Thanks💝

IMG_0541.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

@cheriere I don't have any suggestions,  but that sure is a pretty opal and I encourage you to get it set, so you can start wearing and enjoying it.  Nothing wrong with looking at the loose opal, but definitely more fun adorning your finger! 

You reminded me of my opal ring that I haven't worn in a long time.  It's  set in yellow gold, and I've been wearing mostly silver now, but I should follow my own advice and let it adorn my finger soon.  

Respected Contributor

Re: OPAL Needs Set

[ Edited ]

@Pezzie 

Thank you so much.💝🌸. This was my very first like this.  Lol, I forget I have it because it's inside its case and tucked into a jewelry box.  I really do want to have it made into a ring.  

At the time, I thought I'd get my jeweler to make a creative yellow gold setting for it.  Now, I'd be happy just to have it in something plain, just so I can wear it.

Honored Contributor

@cheriere   I'd set the opal in a necklace. The stone can be too fragile to put in a ring. I've had two in rings and both cracked rather easily.

Honored Contributor

@cheriere.  Beautiful stone.  I'd take it to an independent jeweler who has a good silver/goldsmith.  You'll probably have to go to a city.  They can discuss options with you.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@cheriere   I'd set the opal in a necklace. The stone can be too fragile to put in a ring. I've had two in rings and both cracked rather easily.

Thanks for suggesting this.  I had considered a necklace because I don't have an opal solitaire style.

Im sorry to hear you had problems with cracking stones.  That would break my heart.💝🌸

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus.  Ethiopian opals are not nearly as fragile as Australian opals and are not water based.  I wear mine all the time while my Australian opal ring rests in its box.

@cheriere.  Don't ever soak your stone in water.  I've heard people say they did and it ruined the color.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Bezel setting.

18kt Yellow Gold classic Oval White Opal 6.98ct bezel set pendant –  Masterpiece Jewellery Opal & Gems Sydney Australia | Online Shop

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

Thank you 💝🌸. I dug it out the other day after you posted all of those amazing opals lol.  
Even though mine's nowhere near those, I do like it more than my other larger opal.

There's actually a great jeweler here who's made a couple pieces for me, but it's been years ago.  It frightens me the prices he charge to do a big, weighty piece like I'd want lol.  Heck, the price of a thin plain gold semi mount online was crazy.  But, since I'm gonna be spending money I should just get it in what I like instead of what's cheaper.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz 

That's Beautiful 😍❤️. I like this bezel setting very much!  Thanks for posting this.🌸