Honored Contributor

AERO KROIL Have a silver bangle you can't get off?

I remember a year or so ago there was a discussion about a JAI bamboo bangle.  A few others besides me had gotten this thing "stuck."  I joked they would have to bury me in it.  So I was wearing it continuously with complementary bracelets, getting tired of the look daily.  So I happened to mention it to DH, who is quite mechanical.  He went to the pole barn and got a can of AERO KROIL, the oil that creeps.  LOOSENS FROZEN METAL PARTS, says the can.  It is applied with a tiny straw that fits right into the cracks and within minutes he was able to loosen the clasp. Buy it at an auto parts store.

Honored Contributor

Re: AERO KROIL Have a silver bangle you can't get off?

@depglass.  Amazon has it but it's expensive.  I think I'd try WD-40 first.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I think most households have WD40 on hand so give it a try.  The 10 ounce can of AERO KROIL is 26.00.  Cheap compared to sawing off the bracelet, which I first asked DH to do.  I'm going to put on some of my favorite gold bracelets that I haven't been able to wear.  Left hand is saved for a watch with only one bracelet.  I'm compulsive about time.

Honored Contributor

Must be one of those 'slip on' things.

I only buy hinged and those that have box closures

Respected Contributor

Not a bangle but an Emma Skye ring i ordered once.   i slipped it on and it molded to my finger due to cutouts inside the gallery making it like vacuum sealed to my finger

to make matters worse it was in the hot humid summer.  IDK why but i panic when a ring gets stuck. i was out of my mind freaking out.  i had to put my hand in ice water for a while. i use some cooking oil to loosen it.

Picture 3 of 4

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

Not a bangle but an Emma Skye ring i ordered once.   i slipped it on and it molded to my finger due to cutouts inside the gallery making it like vacuum sealed to my finger

to make matters worse it was in the hot humid summer.  IDK why but i panic when a ring gets stuck. i was out of my mind freaking out.  i had to put my hand in ice water for a while. i use some cooking oil to loosen it.

Picture 3 of 4

Glad you got it off.  I have a necklace from Emma Skye that is my go to.  I really thought they would go to another channel. I have not seen them since they left HSN

Honored Contributor

About those bangles . . . the bamboo one, I mean.  Sold out in first quality, four sizes left in "as is."  At $197.00 you would think QVC would put them in an outlet store, or are those all closed?  I'm betting all those returns are for the stuck clasp, meaning they are coming back again unless you can slip them over your hand.

Valued Contributor

I've had several of those Jai bangles that won't open. Until you get a bad one yourself, you don't understand why people can't just figure out the usual lever mechanism. However some of them are actually faulty. You can often see the difference when you look at the lower profile of the faulty lever compared to one that works. 

My silliest stuck jewelry incident was in a store in LA. I was buying a one-off gemstone ring, only one available and in one single size. As I was finishing paying the checkout assistant, the lady in the queue behind me asked me if she could try it on. The packing assistant hadn't put it in the bag yet so yes, I was fine with her trying it on. 

Of course, on this hot humid day, this too small ring wouldn't slide off her finger. I'd paid for it and now this stranger was stuck wearing it. It was embarrassing for her but funny at the same time. The assistant took her behind the scenes and they eventually got it off somehow. I had a good few minutes standing in the store like a lemon waiting for either the ring or a refund!

Trusted Contributor

For this very reason , I refuse to purchase a bangle that won't fit over my hand.  

Esteemed Contributor

Another option is to go to a jewelry store; usually someone there can manipulate the mechanism. In my case one time I tried on a weighty silver cuff and then couldn't remove it. The store used Windex to remove it!