Respected Contributor

Re: Do You “Style” Your Christmas Tree?

@BlueFinch wrote:

A styled tree for me would be one set-up by professional tree decorators. The type we often see in high end homes, or businesses. The clients don't touch a single ornament. It's all styled, then taken away. 

For the majority of us, it's not styling, it's the hand's on delight of being part of the moment. We may change it some years, or prefer for it to stay identical to every year before, out of tradition.

It's our personal piece of holiday art, whether thrown together haphazardly by small children in the home, or one given hours of attention. It should just be for fun, while elevating the spirit of the season, not a contest.

So well said~Agreed! 🎄❤️

Trusted Contributor

My mom had a small 3 ft Christmas tree, when you took it out of the box, it had the ornaments and lights already on it, just plugged it in 'voila.'.....

Honored Contributor

@HonestLife wrote:

I'm watching my favorite Valerie Parr Hill.. I keep hearing the word "styling" your Tree. Do you style your tree? I'm assuming this means a "themed" tree. 🤷‍♀️

@HonestLife 

My main tree in the living room has a variety of vintage or vintage look ornaments......Now the little tree that I put on my bedroom dresser has nothing but angels....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

We just decorate our trees. I bought some clips from VPH to add to our tree this year.

@AuntG 

Hey AuntG, any Green Bay Packer ornaments? 😉 I include several ornaments from my fav sports teams....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I enjoy watching Valerie's shows but to answer your question, no I don't style my tree. I have ornaments that have been in my family for many years so I enjoy the eclectic look of the variety of decorations that I've had for years. 

I have a small house so I don't have room to have multiple large trees and with working from home being the order of life currently, adding a desk to my living room hasn't helped the space issue!

I do have smaller trees that I decorate around the house and I have fun with doing some theme looks with those.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desert Lily Sounds like you had a really fun job.

Esteemed Contributor

LOL @Spurt that's awesome! 

Valued Contributor

Unless you count putting the family ornaments, with kid proof/cat proof ornaments, along with random trinkets picked up on vacations past as a "Style", then YES we do. LOL  Even before marriage, kids, etc. when I had roommates, we would try to be classy and then ended up just putting on ones we bought at K-mart (yes, that long ago), or things we made, and ones our families had given us when we all left the nest.  In a lot of ways those are the best trees I think, because of the memories, or the feeling of thinking of family and friends, etc.  Maybe in the future someday, if we ever clean out our finished basement from moving three years ago, we will have a styled tree, but I doubt it.  It will probably have the left overs that did not make the cut for the living room tree.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

what fun @Caaareful Shopper I'm sure your tree will be beautiful!

I need someone to tell me how to get the cat to NOT chew on the faux tree!!

She doesn't climb it, she wants to chew on the branches and of course I worry that she will get sick doing that. One year, when they were younger, the tree stayed up without any issues for 2 weeks and New Year's Eve, it was as though she "discovered" it. I had to quickly remove the decorations and put it out on the porch. Once she decides it's what she's going to do, she is relentless about it.

I've tried spraying it with the stuff that is supposed to make them not chew things but nope, no good. I tried citrus too (going so far as to put oranges under it) LOL at least that smelled good.

Any thoughts?

Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT Your post about the Santa's from Jim Shore made me think of the Santa figures my Mom bought. There was a small store in our area that carried some fun unique things and she loved the old fashioned look of the Santa's. I have them now and I proudly display them every year. They are in my glass fronted cabinet and I put strings of fairy lights around them so they are easily seen. 

My Jim Shore witch figures live in the cabinet during most of the year -- they appear on the mantel along with my other fall/Halloween items for display from end of September until Halloween. 

I like Etsy too!