Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You “Style” Your Christmas Tree?

@ciao_bella wrote:

@shaggygirl 

@shaggygirl wrote:

Quite frankly, I find "styling your tree" a stupid & pretentious thing to say.

For those that find joy styling/decorating their tree, it's hardly a 'stupid or pretentious' thing. To each his own, but to be 'harsh' in criticism is often not necessary.   

@ciao_bella 

You have your opinion, I have mine. 

Esteemed Contributor

No here to “styling.”  We have one tree in our family room with white lights.  We have a large collection of ornaments collected over many years of marriage.  I guess you could call it “traditional styling.”

We have had artificial trees since our youngest went off to college, many moons ago.  Prior to that, we had live trees In our family room and living room.

Honored Contributor

I do think some (despite my earlier post), actually do enjoy having new inventions and creating new "themes" or ok "styling" the tree.

And that is something that just shows again everyone enjoys different things.

What Lisa used to do with her trees in her home, I can imagine she loved doing that not just for QVC but actually doing it for her real home.

And I liked watching.

Same with Valerie-the "picks" and just "tucking" things in there. Though I have been doing that for years too, still it was fun to watch.

The downside for me was I could go to Michaels or just about anywhere and get an entire bag of beautfiul "picks"  (which I still have) for the cost of 2-3 at QVC. Sorry, I'll stop but QVC has lost their "competitive edge long long ago.  Fun to watch but not to buy. Though I'm sure no one at QVC will take note of this or any complaints we have.

And no need to say everyting has gone up everywhere. Yes, it has. Still no comparison to quality or value (or convenience anymore-does it ever come?!) anywhere when you can find so much more for so much better almost anywhere.

It is always whatever the market will bear.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia 

Your tree sounds FABULOUS !!!    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Our tree is pretty much the same every year.  We downsized to a 4' tree. I have mostly red and white ornaments with a few home made decorations that my mother and grandchildren  made.   DH loves the multi colored lights so that is what we do.  I would say it's mostly red, white, and gold.  Whatever you like to look at is good!  I love sitting and looking at that tree on a cold snowy night (or day for that matter!) 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Though I do get that it can be exciting to watch; a high to buy something that I see and love,whether an ornament or anything

and to have it arrive like a present at our door (and hopefully before Christmas!)

though I guess not as exciting anymore. Plus I usually like what I have better than anything else I see. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

No. I gave my bigger tree to my neighbors a couple of years ago and I just have 2 small trees. One belonged to my late mother and the other I'.ve had for well over 20 years, too. I use the same decorations  that I've had for many years. In fact, I don't even undecorate the trees, I put garbage bags over them and put them in the closet.

Honored Contributor

The tree in my living room is decorated with all Joan Rivers egg ornaments. 

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

The tree in my living room is decorated with all Joan Rivers egg ornaments. 

That sounds beautiful.  Have you ever posted a picture of it?  I don't post, but if you do, I'd love to see that. Either way, enjoy!!

Respected Contributor

Yes, I style/decorate my trees each year and they are always a bit different from year to year. It is something I truly enjoy so it isn't work for me.