Honored Contributor

Re: Do You “Style” Your Christmas Tree?

We just decorate our trees. I bought some clips from VPH to add to our tree this year.

Respected Contributor

I can appreciate a styled, themed tree, usually done in some one or two color schemes..they can look elegant in certain settings.

However for me...my tree will always be traditional, sentimental ornaments from my whole life's history, multicolor like in my childhood.

I'm in a condo...own 3 artificial trees, 1 full size, two smaller (one being my mom's who's no longer here, so I put that up in my bedroom...that one came with it's own little gold ornaments and ivory bows on it, pre-lit.) 

The big one and other small one have my collections of ornaments on them. That's what I love best about trees....the collection of life memories on them...year after year. That to me is how a tree should be. For me. And I know it's "traditional."

But I say "should", meaning for me...I realize many like a themed tree, especially when putting different ones in different rooms. If I had a big home and did this...I might do my traditional one as my main tree, then theme ones according to the color or style of other rooms.

Honored Contributor

Nope, just a plug-in sort of gal now. LOL

Respected Contributor

I guess I do.  Every year I consider switching things up but every year I settle on the same tree I've put up for years.  Clear lights and Icicles, Iciles, Icicles!  Then white, silver, shades of blue ornaments.  The toy box may come out this year with varius extras for those who come by to hang an ornament on the tree.  Might have a little family get together after Thanksgiving dinner.  So happy to have a few guests again.  Fingers crossed!

Honored Contributor

Yes, I suppose I do.

This year I'm trying something different, something I've never done before.  No ornaments.

I have a very full 7 1/2 ft tree with a lot of little lights (not quite fairy lights, but almost).  My color theme all different variations of champagne, matte silver, matte gold, and white.  I have an abundance of picks, and for the past couple of years I've run out of space on my tree to put the number of picks on it that I plan out in my head.  

So this year, I'm doing all picks -- some are frosted, icy, glitter, bay leaves (in that gold and silver), etc.  No ornaments at all.  Just the picks and the lights.

However it turns out, I'm sticking with it this year.  I have over 100 ornaments, and I'm not even going to take them out of their boxes this year. 

Esteemed Contributor

Quite frankly, I find "styling your tree" a stupid & pretentious thing to say.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Not any more.......My purple tree with the lavender lights has been in the garage for years.

Ha ha, @Desertdi , believe it or not, my tree is purple (with frosted tips) !  I wish it had lavender lights.  They're plain old clear.

I use birds, pine cones, non-traditional greens (think lime) and red and gold.  Works for me.  Oh, and some clear glass spheres and crystals, and just for fun, some Dennis Basso fur ball ornaments.  Gold beaded garland, too.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

No, we might put a new ornament or 2 but its always pretty much the same beautiful tree.

I like tradition-its comforting.

I guess if I was a department store, I might "style" my tree.

Or if I was QVC hoping to convince viewers they need a whole new "styled" tree every year.

I do like seeing what Valerie does however. And she does seem to enjoy doing it. Though in my nowadays cynical mind, I'm sure she enjoys the money from sales too.

But who wouldn't? Just please don't ever misinform us. I hope to believe she is a good sincere and kind person as well as a great sales person.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl 

@shaggygirl wrote:

Quite frankly, I find "styling your tree" a stupid & pretentious thing to say.

For those that find joy styling/decorating their tree, it's hardly a 'stupid or pretentious' thing. To each his own, but to be 'harsh' in criticism is often not necessary.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our tree is mostly handmade ornaments, apples, and berry ropes.  I guess it is styled.

I'm sure excellent examples of "styled trees' are at Callahan's Gift Shop in Calabash, NC.

I love their Christmas wing.  The trees are all themed with beautiful ribbon.  You'll see a move theme tree, angel tree, music tree, all sorts.

(This is NOT me.)

Calabash Nc Shopping

Christmas Rapping: A Visit to St. Nick Nacks | Christmas time, Christmas  decorations, Christmas

r/christmas - Here is the Christmas decorations from Saint Nick nacks inside the Callahan’s shop in Calabash NC!