Valued Contributor

Do You “Style” Your Christmas Tree?

[ Edited ]

I'm watching my favorite Valerie Parr Hill.. I keep hearing the word "styling" your Tree. Do you style your tree? I'm assuming this means a "themed" tree. 🤷‍♀️

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do You “Style” Your Christmas Tree?

@HonestLife wrote:

I'm watching my favorite Valerie Parr Hill.. I keep hearing the word "styling" your Tree. Do you style your tree? I'm assuming this means a "themed" tree. 🤷‍♀️

Not at all. I always put the same well-loved things on it every year, sometimes adding or losing a few items.

I've lost interest in having a tree now, though. I buy a few fresh boughs at most, and keep them in a big vase for as long as the fragrance lasts. 

Respected Contributor

No, I decorate it (old school evidently).😀

Honored Contributor

Not any more.......My purple tree with the lavender lights has been in the garage for years.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I was a Buyer & Product Developer of Home Decorative Accessories for 20 years. For a group of stores, I also bought holiday merchandise. Vendors' merchandise was presented in various themes within their showrooms. I also had to design the footprint for the store displays, so windows were themed/styled trees and there were different themed trees throughout the stores.

Themes could be colors like red & purple or other color combos, or a woodland theme, a Victorian theme, an old-fashion traditional theme, cardinals & doves with red & white ornaments, peacocks and coordinating colors, a gingerbread theme ... theme ideas are endless.

I loved that part of my career; it was festive and joyous.

At home it was usually a pink, purple, or blue flocked tree in a 1950's style with glass ornaments, until I changed to a mylar tree with only lights, a topper, and the rotating spot light with different colors.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very fun job that must have been! 

Trusted Contributor

Every year when I went to Macy's I actually wished I could buy the ornaments they used in their displays

I always styled and changed my tree(s), I love to change the colors I use.  If you start with lots of neutral silver and gold ornaments, all sorts of color combinations are easy just by adding different lights, ribbon and ornaments.  I loved doing that on a white tree.

My neighbors always wanted to see our tree and decorations, it was always different and very inventive.

Trusted Contributor

I don't "style" my tree, but I do always keep with the same kind of color scheme.  I love burgundy, red, and gold on my tree.I have burgundy and gold ribbon and champagne holly picks that I put in my tree as well.  My ornaments are traditonal and most of them have the different shades of red, white, green, etc.  Of course I have ornaments that my girls have made through the years that I put on the tree, regardless of colors.  

I guess my tree is "styled" in a traditonal way.  I don't go with themes or unusual colors. 

Honored Contributor

I have no idea what is meant by styling a tree other than how we decide to decorate it.

Anyone tell you, "It looks like you?"  I'd say that's your style.  What kind of tree, lights, ornaments, Whether it's using favorite themes, or just hanging miscellaneous ornaments collected over the years.

It might reflect your current interior decor, rustic, country, colonial, color schemes, to a very modern theme.  It could be hobbies, dogs, cats, Santa's, snowmen.  There are so many ornaments and other decorations, we can find something to express ourselves.

Esteemed Contributor

I have several tress...so I have a theme for each one.