Respected Contributor

@on the bay if you would be so kind, please post what bird feeder you ultimately choose. I have been looking at different ones this evening. My mom had a tube feeder that was squirrel proof, but like yours, the food would get wet and nasty when it rained.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg ,

I'm so glad it wasn't just me! I think I will go to Walmart and check some out in person. I'll let you knowSmiley Happy 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg ,

Well, you inspired me to start looking online too because stores don't always carry what they do online.

I was getting discouraged because even nice red cedar ones that said they were weather proof with drainage holes, reviews said seeds still got wet or the ledge wasn't long enough etc.

So you know what? I saw this one and I hope there are no live links!

Just thought I'm going simple and easy to clean. I have a feeling no bird feeder is going to be perfect and most probably need to be replaced after awhile. Definitely not top of the line but I like it's

simplicity and I hope the birds will like it. I know the squirrels probably will!Woman LOL

From Lowes-

Style Selections Multiple Colors Plastic Hanging Platform Bird Feeder- 0.5-lb Capacityitem 5019978

style selections multiple colors plastic hanging bird feeder. 11.98

pick up or shipping 5.99

I hope the plastic will be ok in the heat! Didn't think of that.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Re: Bird Feeder Question

[ Edited ]

@on the bay thank you for sharing!  And if it doesn't work out, you don't have that much invested in it.  Where we would put our feeder is away from trees (somewhat), and I don't think the squirrels could get to it by jumping.  So I don't "think" I need a squirrel-proof feeder. But what I WILL need is either a slinky to go up the shepherd's hook or a squirrel baffle on it to keep them from coming up from the ground.

For those who are still perusing this thread, does a slinky or traditional squirrel baffle work best?

Respected Contributor
@Icegoddess. What beautiful birds..
Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@on the bay thank you for sharing!  And if it doesn't work out, you don't have that much invested in it.  Where we would put our feeder is away from trees (somewhat), and I don't think the squirrels could get to it by jumping.  So I don't "think" I need a squirrel-proof feeder. But what I WILL need is either a slinky to go up the shepherd's hook or a squirrel baffle on it to keep them from coming up from the ground.

For those who are still perusing this thread, does a slinky or traditional squirrel baffle work best?

@Ainhisg wrote:

@Ainhisg I couldn't say for sure.  Are you talking about a baffle that protects from the bottom of the feeder?  I think a slinky works well IF there's nowhere for them to jump to the feeder.  I have a stump that's the problem.  If they can climb up the shepherd's hook, they might be able to jump from that to the feeder or stretch across to grab it.  They are quite the gymnist.  I do have both a baffle above and a slinky for the suet feeder, but that's mostly because I tried the baffle first when that hook was next to a tree.  I have since moved it and it's the only one not near a good jumping spot.  

I also have chipmunks and they'll climb the shepherd's hook too.  I've never actually seen them climb all the way, but I did see one climb partways up inside the slinky, but then it couldn't figure out how to get out which is odd since the slinky is stretched out so there's plenty of room for a chipmunk to get through.  

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg Update on the squirrel getting on my feeder.  I was able to actually catch him doing it and, yes, he is jumping from the stump to the feeder, but he is actually using the pole mid-launch to help him get there.  So, I moved the pole out a few inches.  That's all I could move it without having to move it into the yard.  I also rotated it such that that I'm hoping he can't make the jump since the pole is exactly between feeder and the stump, as you can see in the picture.  

Bird Feeder re-adjusted.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg  Not to be a Debbie Downer but we used to feed the birds, but the squirrels took over, ate most of the bird seed and it was just a mess...we quit feeding them.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess thank you for keeping me updated. I enjoyed seeing your pic! Please let me know if moving your pole out a little bit worked!

I have a poll and feeder bought as well as a baffle. My husband is working 7, 12-hour shifts this week, so we are not going to be able to get set up until Monday. I can't hardly wait! I have been using the Merlin app to record bird sounds in our back yard and can't believe how many different birds we have.  I guess I just never paid attention.  I also joined a Missouri bird Facebook group that is very helpful, and people love to help identify birds and give advice. 

Respected Contributor

My  birdffeedeer is made by Born and I ordered it from Amazon; it has a bronze cap on it and I love how it looks in the yard. Unfortunately we have a band of six delinquent squirrels that will drain it in one day if I don't put out peanuts first thing in the morning as a decoy.  I use Valley Splender birdseed mix from Costco in the thirst pound bag. It lasts a long time and i refill the feeder everyday or every oter day. We have a lot of cardinals and they are attracted to black oil sunflower seeds that this mix has lots of. We recently starting having a lot of mourning doves show up and they are flat-footed feeders; cannot perch on a feeder, so whatever the squirrels spill when they raid the feeder if for the doves. the perchers o the feeder are ot long, they are deisigned for songibrds, so bluejays and other bully birds an't steal the seed either, but they pick up enough off the ground.