Esteemed Contributor

Re: When You Enter Someone's Home, What Do You Notice?

Clean, shiny floors and the smell of apple pie baking in the oven for starters....Smile

Honored Contributor

I feel kind of like Tansy....whatever I see first and then I go from there. Almost everyone who comes to my front door and walks into our living/dining room definitely remarks on our ceiling. The room is 33 ft. x 20 ft. It has a cathedral ceiling and we put up a wood ceiling and had it stained a maple color. Our house is not all that big but people think we have a 2000 sq. ft. home when they see that ceiling. It is just an illusion. In reality, it's only around 1,650 sq. ft.

Esteemed Contributor

I think I probably notice the pride they take in their home. To me, that would mean a home that is clean, orderly and doesn't have a foul odor. I have been in peoples home who live a VERY modest life yet their home is lovely and warm because they take pride in it and show it in its best light.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

On 11/4/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

I think I probably notice the pride they take in their home. To me, that would mean a home that is clean, orderly and doesn't have a foul odor. I have been in peoples home who live a VERY modest life yet their home is lovely and warm because they take pride in it and show it in its best light.

Irshgrl, good answer and I agree.

Occasional Contributor

First thing I notice is whether it's a just a house or a real home. Real homes are welcoming, inviting, cozy and filled with love.

Respected Contributor

On 11/4/2014 CardinalGirl_ said:

Decorating style, cleanliness and scent.

Me , too.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

We have friends who bought a home in our small town and are going to be arriving soon . We have the key and have been keeping an eye on it for them. We went there today at their request to turn on the AC, The first thing I noticed as I went in was the heat , of course, then. that I like my home better. Their house is bigger and more expensive but I think mine is cozier and has much better views.

Respected Contributor

Odors.

Honored Contributor

On 11/4/2014 insomniac said:

Odors.

I am glad you said that, LOL! It is the first thing I notice if it is good or bad. My husband said I should have donated my services to a mold removal company. I can smell mold mildew, wet wood and even if a person has mice, hahaha (hamsters included). Cooking odors and old hair smells on couches get me. I notice them, but don't judge anyone for it, because that is life and living.

I also notice how someone welcomes me. I wish I could be as gracious as some people I know.

Trusted Contributor

Style and then scent........and then colors.........