Honored Contributor

Re: When You Enter Someone's Home, What Do You Notice?

view out their windows

Respected Contributor

Smell/odors

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

I notice decorating. Color, style, design, scale, the whole ball of wax.

(I also notice smells. If there's smoke; I'm out of there.)

Valued Contributor

I honestly just notice the people. I am the opposite of my DH. He takes in everything. He has a photographic memory.
Super Contributor

I tend to notice the smell of the home and if the TV is on. Since I am a plant lover, I also notice when someone else has nice houseplants and flowers.

Trusted Contributor

On 11/4/2014 minkbunny said:

If I were going into a home for the first time, I would first take in the aroma of the home, (good smells, bad smells) secondly clutter or the lack of - how much open space is there, floor space, counter space, island space, coffee table space, etc.

Exactly, those are the same things I notice about my own house.

If the scent and clutter aren't a problem, then I'm drawn to the colors and style of furniture.

Honored Contributor

Definitely scent.

Then it would be how light/bright it is in the house. I hate really dark houses.

Honored Contributor

On 11/4/2014 brii said:
On 11/4/2014 dmod nj said:

The smell, but not for some of the reasons posted already. I have very bad allergies. So, even if the homeowner is burning a "nice" scented candle, I'm outta there!

Most perfumes/scents, of any kind....appealing or not, are not a good match for me.

Me too. Certain candles trigger sneezing attacks. Not pretty - LOL

Hi brii,

*passing you a box of tissues*

So true.....not pretty. lol

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

On 11/4/2014 reese2 said:
On 11/4/2014 brii said:

The smell, but not for some of the reasons posted already. I have very bad allergies. So, even if the homeowner is burning a "nice" scented candle, I'm outta there!

Most perfumes/scents, of any kind....appealing or not, are not a good match for me.

Me too. Certain candles trigger sneezing attacks. Not pretty - LOL

Well, I guess I'd have to blow out my candle for you, too, brii! Or I could check with you and Donna first about which kinds you don't like. Smile

Thank you, my friend.

*achoooooooooo*

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

On 11/4/2014 chickenbutt said:

Oh yeah - the 'perfumes' too! Anything that is strong, floral, musky, strong, or strong turns me into Wheezy (asthma).

I hear ya, chickenbutt.