Honored Contributor

Re: When You Enter Someone's Home, What Do You Notice?

On 11/4/2014 dmod nj said:

The smell, but not for some of the reasons posted already. I have very bad allergies. So, even if the homeowner is burning a "nice" scented candle, I'm outta there!

Most perfumes/scents, of any kind....appealing or not, are not a good match for me.

Me too. Certain candles trigger sneezing attacks. Not pretty - LOL

Super Contributor

The smell, but not for some of the reasons posted already. I have very bad allergies. So, even if the homeowner is burning a "nice" scented candle, I'm outta there!

Most perfumes/scents, of any kind....appealing or not, are not a good match for me.

I would blow out my candle for you, Donna! Smile

Super Contributor

On 11/4/2014 brii said:

Me too. Certain candles trigger sneezing attacks. Not pretty - LOL

Well, I guess I'd have to blow out my candle for you, too, brii! Or I could check with you and Donna first about which kinds you don't like. Smile

Honored Contributor

On 11/4/2014 straykatz said:

Smells....I notice smells....the house could be in total shambles and if it has a clean smell that's fine but if it has a smelly/repulsive odor then even a orderly house won't smell inviting to me.

This. Not only will bad smells send me (figuratively if not literally) running, but certain other smells will keep me away. For example, if a household uses Tide laundry detergent, I will get sick pretty quickly or those dryer sheet things that, I'm convinced, can be smelled from outer space.

Respected Contributor

My eye is always drawn to the pets and kids, and honestly, they're always drawn to me as well. Next, it's the adults who have invited me.

Honestly, if I'm visiting someone, mess, scents, decorating...nothing really matters to me as long as the living creatures in the home are friendly.

Now, if I'm house hunting, I'm looking at the bones of the house. As long as the foundations are strong, everything else can be assessed and the price I'd offer would be based on how much work would be involved to make it the home I want. I love to remodel and do home repair and improvements. When I was younger, I would go full tilt until every project was done, now, I go full tilt to make sure something is functional, then I don't mind living with the project in process for however long it takes me to get it done.

Honored Contributor

Oh yeah - the 'perfumes' too! Anything that is strong, floral, musky, strong, or strong turns me into Wheezy (asthma).

Respected Contributor

Smells (especially cigarette/cigar), if the home is bright with lots of light coming in windows or is dark, then views.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Super Contributor

On 11/4/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

My eye is always drawn to the pets and kids, and honestly, they're always drawn to me as well. Next, it's the adults who have invited me.

Honestly, if I'm visiting someone, mess, scents, decorating...nothing really matters to me as long as the living creatures in the home are friendly.

Now, if I'm house hunting, I'm looking at the bones of the house. As long as the foundations are strong, everything else can be assessed and the price I'd offer would be based on how much work would be involved to make it the home I want. I love to remodel and do home repair and improvements. When I was younger, I would go full tilt until every project was done, now, I go full tilt to make sure something is functional, then I don't mind living with the project in process for however long it takes me to get it done.

You sound like a great guest!

I agree with you about the bones of a house. My husband and I looked past the dated interiors and cigarette smell in the house we are in now.

It's still a work in progress but we love it!

Honored Contributor

On 11/4/2014 Helen47 said:
On 11/4/2014 deepwaterdotter said:

If the homeowners are happy to have me there.

What a nice reply; I'd be very happy to have you in my home (-;

Thank you Helen. With the damp and cold of the Midwestern autumn setting in, the thought of enjoying the pleasant clime of San Diego is inviting.

Esteemed Contributor

The people (and pets) Im visiting is what Im drawn to.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles