Super Contributor

Re: When You Enter Someone's Home, What Do You Notice?

I notice the ambiance and the warmth of the atmosphere. Of course, if there is a doggy, musty, mildew, or fish odor, I will notice that first.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't notice anyone's style, colors, new furniture, etc. If it was a cluttered mess or had some weird smell, I would notice. It wouldn't really bother me, but I would notice.
Respected Contributor

d/p
Respected Contributor

On 11/4/2014 minkbunny said:

Actually many people don't smell the odors in their own home. People say, nobody can even tell we smoke, we have pets, etc.

Uh, yeah they can.

I never knew how bad a home/car could smell from cigarette smoke until i quit smoking myself.....we once had a rental car that was so stinky from smoke we had to take it back and ask for another because it was disgusting sitting inside it....as a former smoker I had no idea how badly smoke clings to everything....when I met DH he was a non smoker and never allowed me to smoke in the house or our cars...I eventaully quit smoking.....then about 5 years later I pulled a box of papers and photos out of storage from back in my single days before we met...OMG...the smell of smoke was still clinging to them.

Super Contributor

In this order: Scents, Cleanliness, Decor, Layout/Floor Plan, View.

Honored Contributor

Smoke gets into everything. I had an aunt who was a big smoker. It stained her walls, curtains, furniture, and windows. There was a yellow grime all over everything.

Super Contributor

On 11/4/2014 straykatz said:
On 11/4/2014 minkbunny said:

Actually many people don't smell the odors in their own home. People say, nobody can even tell we smoke, we have pets, etc.

Uh, yeah they can.

I never knew how bad a home/car could smell from cigarette smoke until i quit smoking myself.....we once had a rental car that was so stinky from smoke we had to take it back and ask for another because it was disgusting sitting inside it....as a former smoker I had no idea how badly smoke clings to everything....when I met DH he was a non smoker and never allowed me to smoke in the house or our cars...I eventaully quit smoking.....then about 5 years later I pulled a box of papers and photos out of storage from back in my single days before we met...OMG...the smell of smoke was still clinging to them.

My dad smoked for 50 years before he finally quit. He said he never noticed smells before that and that sometimes it's best NOT to be able to smell from what he was suddenly able to smell. I guess smoking does something to the hairs inside one's nose that affects the ability to pick up scents.

Super Contributor

I have to agree with the odor. We looked at the house we're in now two years ago and the first thing I noticed was that at least one person in the house was a smoker.

Honored Contributor

The smell, but not for some of the reasons posted already. I have very bad allergies. So, even if the homeowner is burning a "nice" scented candle, I'm outta there!

Most perfumes/scents, of any kind....appealing or not, are not a good match for me.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

On 11/4/2014 deepwaterdotter said:

If the homeowners are happy to have me there.

What a nice reply; I'd be very happy to have you in my home (-;
~H~