Esteemed Contributor

Re: UPS requiring a signature for all packages

I only buy online.  I have never had to sign any package, ever.   Perhaps that is one of the perks of being rural.  US Mail I have to sign if the package is coming from another country, but I try my best to limit my purchases (on Ebay).  

Respected Contributor

I have had Evine ask for a signature on more expensive items and I always call UPS to hold the package and I go pick it up at the UPS facility nearby. UPS just delivered 3 packages to my house and they left them outside, no signature. 

Honored Contributor

A signature?  LOL, UPS in my neighborhood have even quit ringing the door bell!!!

Respected Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

A signature?  LOL, UPS in my neighborhood have even quit ringing the door bell!!!

It seems to me that their union pretty much allows them to do anything they want without reprecusion.  Many could not survive in a job that was not union.  

Honored Contributor

My urban experience with UPS was that they would drop/"deliver" your package anywhere they felt like it and swear "you" signed for it.

My rural experience is that they usually deliver to the "hidden" side of the house and knock at least half the time;  alternatively they leave it where they see an open garage door, or lights and people after dark.

I don't think anyone at the house has ever been asked to sign in the country and I've never had a country package not arrive. In the city I was very lucky if I ever received a package.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@truffle

Our guy told us they don't have to ask if they know you enough to trust you.  We love our UPS guy, he's pretty darn cute and never makes a mistake.  If we're not home, he signals a delivery by leaving a blank note in the front and then hides the package from others in the back.

Honored Contributor

My experience with UPS, Fed Ex and USPS regarding signatures:

1) The sender can require a signature and all 3 must comply

2) You wave a signature requirement with most senders (especially if it's well known).

3) A signature may be required on the part of the SHIPPING company and not the vendor. This can vary HUGELY. I mean... within a neighborhood some must have a signature and 3 streets over, they can leave it.

I found this out over time when moving within the same county over a period of a few years but still dealing with the same vendors with I was ordering something either online or over the phone. When I asked all 3 why I had to sign for packages when I didn't at my last address (5 miles away) I was told that "theft is much higher here than that area".

Come to find that since the homes were more spread apart and there were far more elderly living in the community vs young families, criminials were able to easily target packages as well as mail (pills, checks, etc) without being caught. And yes, I was stolen from twice (UPS and Fed Ex) but in BOTH cases, it was employee theft NOT someone in the neighborhood.

Signatures are a hassle but they are fantastic when you want to prove something didn't arrive and they said it did; "SHOW ME WHERE I SIGNED FOR IT".

They can't. You win.

Respected Contributor

Has anyone ever had their packages redirected to a UPS Store and if so what was that like?  When they asked for your driver's license did they tell you it had to be the government issued one?  I don't have one of those.  

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

Has anyone ever had their packages redirected to a UPS Store and if so what was that like?  When they asked for your driver's license did they tell you it had to be the government issued one?  I don't have one of those.  

I hate the PO transfer, it means an extra two to three days delivery time.

No one from the PO has ever asked to see my driver's license or my husband's.

Trusted Contributor

@truffle

If you go to the UPS site and enter the tracking number for an item already delivered you should be able to click on a link in blue called Proof of Delivery  (on the left side of the screen underneath “Delivered On: and the date).  If someone signed for it you should see the signature.  If the driver did not get a signature you should see all typed info as to day, date, time, weight, etc.   If it is transferred to USPS SurePost from UPS I am not sure that the postal driver gets those signatures – they are not on the same system as UPS so they likely do not see your UPS profile.  Hope that helps.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.