Honored Contributor

Re: Twitter explodes as Calvin Klein says THIS is ‘plus size’

Did it mention what size that model actually is?

Super Contributor

If she is a size 14, then she is a plus size in the fashion world.

If she were a size 6, then she would be what is considered average in the fashion world.

Think about it this way - the average model is a size 2 or even a 0, so if this girl is a size 12, she is several sizes bigger than them so they see her as a "big" girl, i.e., plus size.

When you look in fashion magazines, the models don't depict anyone but very thin girls, yet we still are inspired to wear those fashions even if we go out and buy the garment in a size 8 or 10.

So when you look at plus size catalogs, many of the girls are several sizes smaller than the average plus size girl in real life, too, just like the thin models in magazines are several sizes smaller than the average consumer.

Super Contributor

Aw, Calvin is just looking for some controversy....and got it!! {#emotions_dlg.blink} {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Honored Contributor

On 11/9/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Did it mention what size that model actually is? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

In the Elle magazine article, she says she is a size 10. She tried to be a smaller sized model for many years, but was resorting to an unhealthy lifestyle (bulimia) in order to maintain a smaller size.

So she let that go, and was thrilled to be chosen to be a Calvin Klein model. And they didn't hire her to be a "plus size" model. None of the ads she appears in...state that.

Honored Contributor

From the model's interview with Elle magazine:

"To Dalbesio, who spent years abusing Adderall, crash dieting, and flirting with bulimia in an attempt to whittle herself to “straight size,” it represents progress. “It’s not like [Calvin Klein] released this campaign and were like ‘Whoa, look, there’s this plus size girl in our campaign.’ They released me in this campaign with everyone else; there’s no distinction. It’s not a separate section for plus size girls,” she says."

Honored Contributor

Based on what the model, herself, has to say, it seems to me like this "Twitter explosion" is much ado about nothing.

Esteemed Contributor

""Calvin Klein says....""

Consider the source...

Respected Contributor

She's a great looking bigger-boned woman. "Plus" size in terms of designer goods is less affected by the vanity-sizing practiced in ready-to-wear.

She looks like a size 10 or so to me, and perfectly fit for her body type.

Honored Contributor

Years ago I was on vacation and wandered into a very ritzy Japanese store and asked about a dress that was really nicely tailored.

The prices tags were in Japanese so I asked the price .... the lovely petite Japanese clerk asked what size I was ..... come to find out, the price on the tag was for only up to size 8 ...... beyond that, the price went up because of "all the extra material needed to make a bigger dress" !!! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

I still find that mind boggling ....

Respected Contributor

She looks pretty darn perfect to me. Not skinny or too thin, just perfect. I don't know if it says what size she but she looks to be about an 8 or 10 at the most.