Respected Contributor

Re: Twitter explodes as Calvin Klein says THIS is ‘plus size’

On 11/8/2014 my oh my said:

Bigger than most models? Yes Plus size? No.

I agree.

-Kalli

Contributor

On 11/8/2014 september said:

Aren't most plus sized models around a size 12-14? Yes, they're at the smaller end of the size range for the group they're selling their modeled clothing to, but so are the size 2 models that sell clothing to the "non-plus sized" women.

I consider plus size a 1X which is 18W-20W. I do think some stores carry a 12W thru 16W but they are not your normal size 12 thru 16. They are cut a little bigger.

Respected Contributor

Just showed the photo to my husband. We both agree that she is certainly not skinny, certainly not overweight, definitely has bad posture and is probably considered plus sized in the modeling world.

Super Contributor

Aren't most plus sized models around a size 12-14? Yes, they're at the smaller end of the size range for the group they're selling their modeled clothing to, but so are the size 2 models that sell clothing to the "non-plus sized" women.

Yes, I thought she looked to be in the 12-14 range. Which is by no means "big", but is considered on the smaller end of Plus-sized.

Honored Contributor

There have been times when I've passed by stores at the malls that sell clothing to plus-sized women....and based on the mannequins in the windows...I didn't know that, and went into these stores anyway, even though there was nothing in there that would fit me.

So, it doesn't surprise me that they use women at the smaller end of the size range as the models.

Honored Contributor

She is probably considered 'plus sized' because if her ribs were showing then she would be 'regular sized'.

Does Mr. Klein live in an alternate universe from the rest of the planet?

I think so...

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

There have been times when I've passed by stores at the malls that sell clothing to plus-sized women....and based on the mannequins in the windows...I didn't know that, and went into these stores anyway, even though there was nothing in there that would fit me.

So, it doesn't surprise me that they use women at the smaller end of the size range as the models.

LOL, that's funny!

Trusted Contributor

On 11/8/2014 Colonel Meow said:

Yes, I thought she looked to be in the 12-14 range. Which is by no means "big", but is considered on the smaller end of Plus-sized.

In one article, it said she's a size 8. Another one I saw said she's size 10. She looks like a 10 to me.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor

On 11/8/2014 adelle38 said:
On 11/8/2014 Colonel Meow said:

In one article, it said she's a size 8. Another one I saw said she's size 10. She looks like a 10 to me.

It's so hard to estimate someone's size, isn't it? I have girlfriends who weigh a lot more than me (50+ lbs), but they wear smaller sizes just because they are taller and their weight is distributed so differently.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it gave her size but most designers think a size 8 and up is plus-size. That sort of thinking is not right but that's pretty much the norm in high fashion. Tyra Banks has done a lot to try to change this but it still has a LOOOONNNNNG way to go.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown