Respected Contributor

Re: Toyota Corolla TV ad......Lesley Gore Song

I like the song.   They seem to be putting it out there as a statement on a lifestyle.

But trying to relate it to a car commericial is hard for me to wrap my head around.

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

I like the song.   They seem to be putting it out there as a statement on a lifestyle.

But trying to relate it to a car commericial is hard for me to wrap my head around.

@Allegheny Exactly!  I love the song, but I don't really see what it has to do with the car?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Sorry, but it's *wasted* on Toyota, jmo.

Honored Contributor

Well, it grabbed your attention, you remember the ad , the song and that it was for Toyota. Mission accomplished. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Well, it grabbed your attention, you remember the ad , the song and that it was for Toyota. Mission accomplished. 

I googled Leslie Gore, first.

Had the OP title been : You Don't Own Me, I would've remembered it was for a car commercial (and that the car swerved into the other lane because the girl or guy was belting out the song).

I can't imagine anyone buying a Toyota because of the commercial (or the song).

Honored Contributor

Have loved the song from the time it first came out - had the 45, played it often and cranked it on the radio. I was a fan.

Love the commercial. It's even a hit with the male in the house.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Had the OP title been : You Don't Own Me, I would've remembered it was for a car commercial (and that the car swerved into the other lane because the girl or guy was belting out the song).

Liking the commercial and buying the car, are teo different things.

For example, when you go grocery shopping, do you only put items in your cart whose commercials that you like?

If not, why not?

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Swerved into the other lane - to demonstrate in the commercial a feature of the car they believe people will want as a safety feature. Cars are all about the safety features these days.

The ad is clearly geared to Millennials and I think the general vibe is spot on for that.

Many commercials use music that a much younger generation would not have heard in its original time and place. This isn't the first by a longshot.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I love that song, always did.

She didn't have the best voice ever, though it was good--but she wrote a few songs straight from the heart that work every time. 

I had a Toyota Corolla that worked perfectly for twenty years, but I hate the SE Toyota cartel so much I will never deal with a Toyota seller again.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Liking the commercial and buying the car, are teo different things.

For example, when you go grocery shopping, do you only put items in your cart whose commercials that you like?

If not, why not?

Many many ads now days leave one wondering what the heck the product was they were advertising was. You might not run out and buy a Toyota, but you might in the future.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan