Honored Contributor

Re: The post about light bulbs

[ Edited ]

Terrier3: Yes, flourescent bulbs (the long ones): I had to quit a summer job, because the lighting was making me dizzy. Tried all kinds of eyeglass tinted lenses, nothing worked.  Also, felt slightly dizzy in the supermarkets that had that type of lighting.  This was years and years ago.  I think they've probably improved since then.  Haven't had any problems with supermarkets.  I'll have to take a look at the lighting from now on. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I think many people believe every little thing the government tells them is true. We need to be allowed to think for ourselves and do and use what we think is right. We can't just have all these rules about what is good for us and what isn't shoved down our throats. 

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I think many people believe every little thing the government tells them is true. We need to be allowed to think for ourselves and do and use what we think is right. We can't just have all these rules about what is good for us and what isn't shoved down our throats. 

,,and then there are those believe anything new the government does is a vast conspiracy.

We're discussing light bulbs not nuclear power.  

Funny thing, the government has been doing this for decades..oops, i mean centuries.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

So do you feel the same about airbags, anti-lock brakes and windshield wipers????

It's called PROGRESS....thankfully it can't be stopped.

Honored Contributor

In my heart of hearts, I do believe that one day in the future, the CFLs will be phased out or banned, because of the improper disposal by the public in general.  And who knows how and to where they are transporting them for recycling, etc.  Could be wrong, though.  Time will tell.  The kids of today will have to deal with it later on.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I read an article not sure of the source but as the incandescent light bulbs are phased out for the more energy efficient LED bulbs, the price on the incandescents will rise (supply vs. demand) and the LED prices will lower. We are seeing this now with lowered prices on LED bulbs.

This article addresses the incandescent vs. LED bulbs and that Bush enacted this bill to change over to more efficient bulbs in 2007.

"In 2007, the US Congress under President George W. Bush passed the Energy Independence and Security Act. Key among its provisions was a new series of regulations mandating the gradual phase-out of the manufacturing, importation, and sale of inefficient lighting."

It also discusses the amount of mercury inside CFL bulbs vs an ordinary thermometer and how the CFL bulbs have improved over time due to consumers demanding better CFL bulbs that can be dimmable if needed.

"Don't be too quick to rule out CFL bulbs, either. Since 2007, the variety of tones and color temperatures has improved, and more CFLs are dimmable these days. As for the mercury, the amount sealed inside each CFL is less than 1/100th of what you'd find inside an old-style thermometer -- enough to warrant a fair degree of caution when it comes time to recycle the light or clean up a broken bulb, but not enough to justify avoiding them outright."

And finally in that article it states:"No matter how you end up lighting your home, the important thing to remember is that you'll still have the power to decide what's best for you. No one is forcing you to use a certain kind of light bulb -- the government is just forcing manufacturers to build you better ones. After 134 years of incandescents, maybe it's about time."

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

In my heart of hearts, I do believe that one day in the future, the CFLs will be phased out or banned, because of the improper disposal by the public in general.  And who knows how and to where they are transporting them for recycling, etc.  Could be wrong, though.  Time will tell.  The kids of today will have to deal with it later on.

You are probably right...but we WON'T go back to incandescents...something even better will be invented.

Honored Contributor

I'm not crazy about airbags; make me nervous.  Although they truly save lives.  I'm just slightly worried that they will pop open without being in an accident, while driving down a freeway.  Which is a bit ridiculous, I know.  At least they aren't toxic.  All in all, airbags save lives.

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

Would you prefer to drive a car with no airbags and no windshield wipers? At one time those safety features were ridiculed too.

I'm all for progress. The more efficient bulbs have saved me money, saved climbing up and down ladders to replace bulbs, and are better all around.

Why should bulbs stay the same as when they were first invented? That's almost impossible to fathom. What other product is identical to the 1950s????

This isn't about not wanting progress, or new and better technologies. It's about having things that are not harmful or dangerous, simply legislated away, so a government can try to make us believe they are fixing a problem. It's about living in a country where personal choice (and personal responsiblity) were a cornerstone of it's foundation, and are quickly disappearing.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Yes! But as time goes on, people are becoming incapable of thinking for themselves. They only do what they are told by someone they percieve to be in control or able to fix all the ills in their lives. And sadly, for many today, that is the government and their agencies.