Esteemed Contributor

Saw this movie yesterday.  Based on some actual events in history.  The movement started in England.  Different place, different people/circustances.  Women got the right to vote after making their voices heard.  Nice sets and costumes. Won't write more so that I don't give away the story. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Won't write more so that I don't give away the story. 

Since I vote, I pretty much know the ending. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee Yes, the ending is known as we live it.  At the end of the movie, the credits run the list of foreign countries who have given in to let women vote.  It's remarkable that some just in this century have allowed women the right to vote.  In Saudi Arabia, they are still just only considering such a thing. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Suffragette - The Movie

[ Edited ]

Amazing what women had to go through to get the right to participate in our voting process...

Their story is fantastic and I'm glad this movie was made.

We need to know what others went through to appreciate what we have now.

It's been LESS than 100 years in the USA!

Esteemed Contributor

I remember learning about the Suffragettes years ago. It was pretty much a middle and upper class rebellion.  It's quite an interesting movement - some of their tactics resembling modern day activities.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Suffragette - The Movie

[ Edited ]

@MyGirlsMom People have views of the classes who rebelled.  Middle class was not something that existed back then.  There were classes of the royalty, wealthy, and rich, but not the classes we know as middle class.  They were just the poor. The poor males only control and power would have been over women.  The poor's women had no voice as they weren't educated and trained - just expected to work at dead end jobs up to their deaths under deplorable conditions.  I won't even mention the decades of se*xual harassment so many have endured.   

Honored Contributor

We take much for granted, and should never forget what some women endured and and

are still facing in their quest for equality.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I've read about the suffragette movement in England and what those women went through. It's shocking that they were willing to do what they did for the cause. I'm glad a film was made about it. I'll definitely see it. Young people have little to no idea of what women sacrificed to gain rights that we take for granted, in the UK and in the U.S.

Honored Contributor

What makes me mad is the women of today still have kids they don't want , need or can afford and birth control is all around . What those poor women would have gave to have had the right to limit their families. Lot died in childbirth. One pregnancy after another. Dr.'s wouldn't help you, no birth control pill, etc.   Your husband had complete control over EVERY aspect of your personal life. I've read stories where husbands would have their wives committed to the insane asylum because they fought to keep from being used and then have to have babies all the time.

You weren't allowed to work, maybe sew and hope your husband didn't take it away from you for trips to the bar. You had to know your place or get beat. Who are you going to call? Cops, looked the other way.

We, women don't know how good we have it today. Still, we have people who don't take advantage of modern methods but then they're is welfare and Medicaid. These women had no hand outs to help them. Read 'Angela's Ashes'.

Esteemed Contributor

Good post Sharke!

Yes, let's look at our present day prison/jail system with all the unwanted lives that ended up there.  Women have come a long way, but they still have a lot of learning to do and a way to go.