Respected Contributor
On 11/1/2014 happy housewife said:

When ever anyone whines about the pain in their arm for days after getting a flu shot I just want to scream ""OH GROW UP"". The needle used to administer a flu shot is about the size of a hair. Good grief.

When I was at Walgreens there was this big guy there...a body builder with huge bulging muscles and he had come back to ask the pharmacist why his arm still hurt 3 days later. He was annoyed that it continued to hurt.

Honored Contributor
I think whether or not you experience the arm soreness..depends on several factors, and one of them probably has to do with who gives you the shot. Sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't. This year, I think I had someone who was new to giving shots, do mine. She kept telling me to "relax", but I think she was the nervous one. I noticed she pinched up my upper arm quite a bit before giving the injection. I actually couldn't sleep on that side for two nights. Worst shot pain ever....
Super Contributor
On 11/1/2014 ILikeShade said:
On 11/1/2014 happy housewife said:

When ever anyone whines about the pain in their arm for days after getting a flu shot I just want to scream "OH GROW UP". The needle used to administer a flu shot is about the size of a hair. Good grief.

When I was at Walgreens there was this big guy there...a body builder with huge bulging muscles and he had come back to ask the pharmacist why his arm still hurt 3 days later. He was annoyed that it continued to hurt.

Men, eh. Big girls' blouses. That's why men get "man flu" where women only get a bit of a cold. He may be a body builder, but he's still a man. You should hear my sweetie go on about stubbed toes and papercuts.

Respected Contributor
On 11/1/2014 moonchilde said:

WT_? If you are referring to intradermal vs. nasal vaccine, that is totally incorrect. Every drugstore from every major chain is pushing flu shots up the wazoo. I obtained mine from my doctor's office, and they had plenty. What the heck your post has to do with supposed/potential "bullying" (currently the most misused word in the English language) I have no clue. Your own personal 1-person experience does not equal "everyone."

Agree the shot looks like it's available in all versions but people might need to call if they need a certain type. I agree "bully" is overused and used incorrectly but if we're using it, I don't think people should be "bullied" into getting one OR into fearing or avoiding the vaccine either.Smiley Happy

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor
On 11/1/2014 september said: I think whether or not you experience the arm soreness..depends on several factors, and one of them probably has to do with who gives you the shot. Sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't. This year, I think I had someone who was new to giving shots, do mine. She kept telling me to "relax", but I think she was the nervous one. I noticed she pinched up my upper arm quite a bit before giving the injection. I actually couldn't sleep on that side for two nights. Worst shot pain ever....

This is true in general, for sure. Like, never let your doctor give you an injection ;-) In my case, I got my shot from the phlebotomist who draws blood and gives injections all day long.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I was told by a pharmacist at Walgreens that they are the biggest buyer of flu vaccine and yet do not carry intradermal; they surmised that doctor offices would not carry it either. You should be able to get one from your local health department. The flu shot I obtained had no preservatives and all intradermal shots also have no preservatives. If I decide to get a flu shot next year I will go to the health department for a intradermal shot.

My first flu shot in about 10 years and yes, my arm ached for a couple days although much less than previously. I do not have a compromised immune system, thankfully, but obtained the shot this year due to having to take my stepmom to her various doctor appointments, i.e. podiatrist, general practitioner as well as dentist during the flu season....don't like being around sick people! My stepmom refuses the flu shot every year! I don't recall that she was ever sick with the flu.....colds, yes.

For those who prefer to build up natural antibodies by being exposed to the flu while they're out and about. Yes, me too but 10 years later with only 1 bout of the flu (I was never tested for the flu and so have no idea if that's what I really had and no, didn't go to the doctor or ER) I felt it was time.

Don't let anyone bully you into getting a flu shot.

Your attitude is fine if you have someone to fetch and carry for you should you become seriously Ill. If you're alone and are solely responsible for your own care, you have to do everything in your power to stay healthy. I've gotten flu shots every year since they first became available. I got a mild case in 2003, a year when the vaccine didn't match the strain that developed. I was in the hospital briefly so I know I actually had the flu. For me the shot is free. Why wouldn't I get it? It's so much easier than a miserable illness.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
On 11/1/2014 newziesuzie said:
On 11/1/2014 moonchilde said:

WT_? If you are referring to intradermal vs. nasal vaccine, that is totally incorrect. Every drugstore from every major chain is pushing flu shots up the wazoo. I obtained mine from my doctor's office, and they had plenty. What the heck your post has to do with supposed/potential "bullying" (currently the most misused word in the English language) I have no clue. Your own personal 1-person experience does not equal "everyone."

Agree the shot looks like it's available in all versions but people might need to call if they need a certain type. I agree "bully" is overused and used incorrectly but if we're using it, I don't think people should be "bullied" into getting one OR into fearing or avoiding the vaccine either.Smiley Happy

I know that a certain amount of egg-free vaccine is made each year for those who are allergic to eggs. One of the MDs I work with, who is pregnant, got the thimerosol-free (almost) version. I agree that (hopefully) people should inform themselves and make up their own minds.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor
On 11/1/2014 kachina624 said:

I was told by a pharmacist at Walgreens that they are the biggest buyer of flu vaccine and yet do not carry intradermal; they surmised that doctor offices would not carry it either. You should be able to get one from your local health department. The flu shot I obtained had no preservatives and all intradermal shots also have no preservatives. If I decide to get a flu shot next year I will go to the health department for a intradermal shot.

My first flu shot in about 10 years and yes, my arm ached for a couple days although much less than previously. I do not have a compromised immune system, thankfully, but obtained the shot this year due to having to take my stepmom to her various doctor appointments, i.e. podiatrist, general practitioner as well as dentist during the flu season....don't like being around sick people! My stepmom refuses the flu shot every year! I don't recall that she was ever sick with the flu.....colds, yes.

For those who prefer to build up natural antibodies by being exposed to the flu while they're out and about. Yes, me too but 10 years later with only 1 bout of the flu (I was never tested for the flu and so have no idea if that's what I really had and no, didn't go to the doctor or ER) I felt it was time.

Your attitude is fine if you have someone to fetch and carry for you should you become seriously Ill. If you're alone and are solely responsible for your own care, you have to do everything in your power to stay healthy. I've gotten flu shots every year since they first became available. I got a mild case in 2003, a year when the vaccine didn't match the strain that developed. I was in the hospital briefly so I know I actually had the flu. For me the shot is free. Why wouldn't I get it? It's so much easier than a miserable illness.

I get one for herd immunity, so that those who can't get the vaccine for any reason are less likely to get flu from me. I don't want anyone getting sick on my account. I would feel bad for myself if I got flu, but I'd feel horrible if I gave it to a child or someone who is immune-compromised. I get flu shots for me, but I get them mostly for other people.

Respected Contributor
On 11/1/2014 kachina624 said:

Kachina624....my thread is not to slam people for getting the flu shot.....it's for those one or two individuals that like to bully and shame those who don't. I'm glad you are doing what is necessary for your good health!!!!

Trusted Contributor
I just got a flu shot a couple of weeks ago and it was the easiest ever. Didn't feel it and no soreness afterward at all. I looked and the needle was long unlike last year when it was a tiny thing about 1/4 inch long. That hurt more! In fact I was surprised that I couldn't feel a thing and wondered if I'd really got the shot at all,lol? There was a bandaid on there though and it had a tiny spot of blood so, I guess I did get it Smiley Happy