Super Contributor

Re: Nurse on CNN Right Now...

take a peek at gloriajeans thread. Her daughter is volunteering in Guatemala and people have problems with that. There are some people who snark at and denigrate those who are willing to give of themselves. I'll never understand why. Volunteers do what I don't want to leave my cushy life to do. Thank goodness for all of them.
Respected Contributor

On 10/26/2014 GrettaGarbled said: take a peek at gloriajeans thread. Her daughter is volunteering in Guatemala and people have problems with that. There are some people who snark at and denigrate those who are willing to give of themselves. I'll never understand why. Volunteers do what I don't want to leave my cushy life to do. Thank goodness for all of them.

What?

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

On 10/26/2014 MomTo2Dogs said:

Anyone heard this one?

The American Civil Liberties Union is demanding that Gov. Chris Christie provide more information to the public about how the state came to the conclusion that mandatory quarantine of healthcare workers was medically necessary, saying it has “serious constitutional concerns about the state abusing its powers.”

Thank you for that info, MomTo2Dogs! I agree with the policy Cuomo and Christie have adopted, but it's good to have a watchdog asking for justification and monitoring the situation. I can't see how they would abuse this, but government regardless of who is in charge needs to be monitored so that it doesn't abuse its power or set the wrong precedent. IIRC it was Jefferson who said, "Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom"

Respected Contributor

On 10/26/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 10/26/2014 Caravaggio said:
On 10/26/2014 Caravaggio said: Well you do gooders Sutton on your tookuses (sp?) Think what you want I am out. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
. Sitting

Are you typing while standing?

Someone is having a bad day. Smiley Wink Hi Noel!!
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

On 10/26/2014 Caravaggio said: Well you do gooders Sutton on your tookuses (sp?) Think what you want I am out. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Looks like this thread is getting a little too hot for some people....

Enjoy your weekend helping all those homeless people you're so worried about.

Honored Contributor

On 10/26/2014 JustJazzmom said:
On 10/26/2014 JustJazzmom said:

I'm sorry but if I was to be quarantined here in the USA, I expect more from the government than a tent, a port a potty and paper gowns-- after all I am a citizen!!

There was a time when Americans of a certain race were given hours to pack their belongings and leave their homes. Many were transported to horse stables.

You can expect more but our history says you will be provided with the minimum, if that.

These medical personnel should be quarantined in much better facilities than a tent because after all they went over there to help contain this disease and help those who are ill with this disease. They should be treated as heroes not criminals or less than marginal citizens (as if there is a group like that!)

This kind of quarantine is not going to encourage more medical personnel to go over there and volunteer if another 3 weeks of their lives will be in limbo upon return to this country.

They should be in better facilities because they are human.

I said this before, people will go even with a quarantine. Most of the health care professionals dealing with Ebola in Africa have been in crisis zones before. They are a unique breed and are used to handling unpredictable situations. Which is one of the reasons this nurse's comments surprised me.

It's clear she's been traumatized, not even given basic care, which adds to the trauma. Her reaction is not only understandable, it's predictable from a psychological perspective.

This isn't her first round dealing with epidemics. She has prior hands-on experience in several developing countries. MSF would have never allowed her to go if she didn't. You need a level head to work in Africa. That shouldn't change once you return home.

I wasn't referring to her experiences in Africa, but rather her experiences when she came home.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

Yes, I know you were Noel.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

On 10/26/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:
. Sitting

Someone is having a bad day. Smiley Wink Hi Noel!!

MK! Hi

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

. Sitting

On a commuter train
Respected Contributor

On 10/26/2014 terrier3 said:
On 10/26/2014 pitdakota said:

Not to mention that individuals with ebola are not generally infectious in the early stages of the disease. The true risk of transmission comes when these patients are really sick. As I posted on the other thread, people that are out jogging, bowling, etc. are not sick enough yet and the viral load of body fluids is not at a point to where it has a high level of infectivity. That is the natural clinical progression of the disease at this time.

In the vast majority of cases, people do develop a low grade temp. The temp does tend to increase and within a couple of days the patient is experiencing tremendous difficulty with vomiting and diarrhea.

Pit - I am hoping that in time the general public will come to believe what you know to be a medical fact and this crazy fear will go away.

We will need to follow these workers and see how irrational some of these fears truly are.

Thank you for your educated analysis of the situation. I really appreciate your posts!

Thanks terrier. In the meantime I am really hoping that they are able to make some head way in West Africa. Therein lies the real challenge.

I think it is in Guinea that I read they are close to experiencing a famine. A good number of the farmers in that country have died due to ebola. They just don't seem to be able to catch a break there. Hopefully, that will start to change soon.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *