Trusted Contributor

Re: Is the holiday spirit rushed?

It is the retailers fault....once they get you in the holiday spirit..............you SPEND!

Honored Contributor

I don't think it is any earlier (the appearance of holiday merchandise) than it has been for at least the last 20 years. I do think there is more of it though. Where a store had a certain amount of footage for the season, they now have probably doubled it, but they must be selling it or they wouldn't do it.

I like the Christmas stuff starting early, because I enjoy spreading the season out. I have always shopped all year, started thinking about the decorating (but not doing it) and the baking by Halloween time.

I like to have all the decorating, baking, cards, wrapping etc done by the first couple of days into December. That way I can enjoy the decor, watch the Christmas programs, attend church functions and school plays, have lunches with friends and family, read some holiday themed books, participate in some charity programs, visit family, shop for leisure, not because I'm in a mad rush to find a particular gift, and in general, slow down and enjoy the season.

If I left all of it until December to start, I'd probably not do half of what I do. And I guess that would be all right as well.

Honored Contributor

Saw my first load of trees coming in yesterday - just in time for the temperature change which should help keep them fresh.

Super Contributor

Christmas has been commericalized for a long time, now.

No rushing the spirit here; just take it all, the ads, the music, etc. as it is comfortable for you; the holidays are what we make of them as individuals.

Honored Contributor

I don't seem to be rushed at all this year. Mainly because I starting decorating very early, thanks to Lisa R.'s beautiful Christmas Décor shows. Very inspiring for me. I feel totally relaxed, so far, enjoying my tree 'way ahead of time'. I'm thinking of keeping my pre-lit smaller tree (4' - 5') all year long. Just decorate it with the appropriate decorations. (Valentines for Valentine's Day, Egg ornaments for Easter, etc.) It's in a corner, so it won't be in the way. Smile

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

On 11/11/2014 Cakers1 said:

No rushing the spirit here; just take it all, the ads, the music, etc. as it is comfortable for you; the holidays are what we make of them as individuals.

^^^^^ This!

I do not understand all the complaining about the holidays. No one is forced to do anything. ITA that the holidays are what we make of them.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

I agree that it feels earlier, but I think it's been this way for a while now. I did notice the christmas commercials/ sales started the day after halloween, but nothing retailers do make me buy anything I normally wouldn't. I do love it though, it's my favorite time of the year. I like the holiday spirit lasting more than just a month. It's been a really rough year for a lot of people close to me, having something fun and positive to look forward to is a good thing. I'm particularly excited this year because our youngest ( and last) child fully understands Santa and is really excited to see him and do all the Christmas activities. I will say though that I really don't like black Friday starting during thanksgiving, it should start on Friday.
Super Contributor

On 11/11/2014 NoelSeven said:

^^^^^ This!

I do not understand all the complaining about the holidays. No one is forced to do anything. ITA that the holidays are what we make of them.

Noel: Sending you good wishes that your Christmas this year will be healthier.

Smile

Respected Contributor

I love the holiday season. Just today the channel I listen to on Sirius seems to have been replaced with Christmas music and I must say I enjoyed it.

Christmas is such a wonderful time of year and the next few months are ones that I have treasured memories of. Remembering the kids when they were small, visiting Santa, midnight Mass, baking cookies and opening gifts on Christmas Eve and Christmas day....just a great time of the year. Smile

Honored Contributor

On 11/11/2014 NoelSeven said:

^^^^^ This!

Noel: Sending you good wishes that your Christmas this year will be healthier.

Smile

Oh, Thank You, Cakers!

I wish the same for you Smile

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices