Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I have quite a few cashmere sweaters from past years.  So I was excited to buy the new Isaac ones.  I got two of them home and thought I had been attacked by bed bugs.  I pulled the thing off and couldn't stop itching.

If it's cashmere, it not the kind I have in mind.  It is scratchy and terrible.

@Annabellethecat66

Good point. Even in stores, you have to be careful. One would hope that Isaac would be picky. I find it harder to get quality cashmere, and even two-ply is often thin. Isn't that sad? 

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE Yes!  I have gotten some 'cashmere' that was like see thru tissue.  Isaac's was not  that thin but it was scratchy.  I keep my good (it was all QVC and not real expensive back maybe 4 or so years ago) in a zip lock baggie.  It feels so good when I put them on.

Honored Contributor

I use the "dry cleaner in the dryer" system. LOVE it.  There are many brands available at the grocery store, Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc.

Respected Contributor

I own a ton of cashmere (no IM). Lots of J Crew and Lands End. Been wearing it for years (sleep in old crewnecks). I have always hand washed them. I use Nordstrom hand wash in lavender. Dry cleaning to me is chemicals - no thanks 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I have quite a few cashmere sweaters from past years.  So I was excited to buy the new Isaac ones.  I got two of them home and thought I had been attacked by bed bugs.  I pulled the thing off and couldn't stop itching.

If it's cashmere, it not the kind I have in mind.  It is scratchy and terrible.

LOL    I don't want nothing I have to baby. Although, that pink sweater he had on the other night for 222 was gorgeous. LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: IM Cashmere

[ Edited ]

I would never, ever dry clean anything that would come in contact with my skin. Those chemicals are known carcinogens. They remain in the garmet, there is no rinse cycle, and build up over repeated dry cleanings. A white sweater that been dry cleaned multiple times will yellow. 

I have several cashmere sweaters. I hand wash them in shampoo and add a little vinegar to the rinse and lay them over a wooden cloths rack to dry. Quality cashmere needs no shaping but isn't inexpensive. It's an investment; I have sweaters I bought years ago that have only gotten softer with each washing. Bargain cashmere is no bargain, it's scratchy and thin.

Super Contributor
Quality cashmere the pricey pieces should always be dry cleaned but something purchased from the Q you can use woolite handwash then roll gently in towel to shape and lay flat to dry or gentle cycle depending on your washer I have had very good luck with all of my experience washing Isaac cashmere from Qvc
Respected Contributor

I have cashmere from Lord & Taylor and Bloomingdale's and still wash it.  I don't like the smell from the dry cleaners on my cashmere. 

Occasional Contributor

Do Not wash cashmere.  When I was in London years ago, I went to a sweater shop that specialized in cashmere.  I asked the saleswoman if I should wash the sweater.  She said "by all means."  I paid plenty for the sweater - it was gorgeous.

Well - I washed the sweater in Woolite, in cold water, rolled in a towel laid it out to dry on a towel - when it was dry, it could have fit a six-year-old.

Lesson:  Do not wash cashmere.

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Got a couple of his sweaters now that they were marked down.  Haven't had a cashmere sweater before.  The item description states to hand wash and lay to dry.

Would someone recommend what detergent and additional washing instructions?  Thank you!

The Ultimate Guide to Care For Cashmere Clothing

Cashmere wool, or simply cashmere, is a type of wool gathered from cashmere goats.

Clothes made of cashmere are considered to be one of the most luxurious pieces of clothing. They are known for their high quality and durability.

This type of wool is used in the production of hats, cardigans, jumpers, scarves, gloves and many other types of cashmere clothing as seen on Cashmere Mania.

Washing Cashmere

If you take a close look at the tags of your cashmere clothing, you will probably find a Dry Clean Only line on it. While it is true that dry cleaning is very effective for washing cashmere, it is also true that this cleaning method is costly. There are situations in which we need to wash the clothes in a short period of time and such practice can cost you a small fortune.

As always in the real world, there are alternatives and when we talk about cashmere, there is another practical method of washing – do-it-yourself hand washing.

Cashmere shampoo cedarIn order to perform hand washing you will need to use scentless dish soap or baby shampoo. In addition, you can also use a small quantity of detergent designed for delicate clothes.

For cashmere, I highly recommend this Cedar scent, which formula cleans and preserves the natural components of yarns, and it is specifically designed for cashmere clothing.

The washing procedure is simple, all you need to do is to pour the baby shampoo or scentless soap in sink filled with lukewarm water.

Next, make some foam with your hands by swishing the piece of clothing. It is crucial to squeeze the item through the water gently.

After that, slowly squeeze the solution out of the item and replace the water with fresh, plain water. The main objective is to completely remove the traces of soap or detergent.

Keep in mind that everything should be performed carefully, gently and slowly.

Drying

This is the second part of the procedure because even drying of cashmere clothing requires special attention. Once you squeeze (don’t wring or twist the item) the water, you should place the item on a towel.

Push the item carefully so that the towel can absorb the excessive water. Take another towel and place the clothes there.

Leave it at room temperature and wait until the item is completely dry.

(The whole procedure of washing and drying cashmere is packed into a video guide below)

http://www.cashmeremania.com/blog/guide-to-care-for-cashmere-clothing/

*Call Tyrone*