Occasional Contributor

We just got a new 8 month puppy a doxie male. My problem is our male doxie dose not get along with this one our female doxie thinks he's great. I know it has only been a couple of hours since we brought him home but I would appreciate any help. Thank you

Respected Contributor

3 doxies

now that is a good home!

doxie

Respected Contributor

How old is your male and female?

Respected Contributor

You are right that a few hours is not long enough. If your original male is the alpha personality then you will have to take over that role to train them. You original male may just be letting the new dog know he is in charge and some of the tis normal. They would be together only when you can supervise them. Have a crate that you can put the new dog in and they can get use to the smell. Also be sure to give your dogs their private attention so they do not feel left out.

doxie

Respected Contributor

Do not feed them together.

Do not have them play with toys they can fight over.

Have one male on each side of you on the couch and pet them and talk to them.

If the puppy is a lot younger then you may not want to let the puppy aggravate him.

dachshunds are like potato chips…one is not enough.

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

Hope they were introduced on neutral territory and not just thrown "into the fire". Many dogs cannot or do not want to deal with the puppy nonsense. Allow the older dog to make the first moves and ALWAYS make sure he can get away from the puppy. All interactions are supervised and over time they will become comfortable with each other. Do not force them to spend time together, rather take them on walks together. An activity they can enjoy together while getting to know each other.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Occasional Contributor
On 11/3/2014 Doxie said:

How old is your male and female?

The male is 6 years old we have had him 2 years. Our female is 4 years old and have had her 3 years.

Respected Contributor

I think they do better when you kind of ease the new member into the family. Let the new one spend some time in the crate while you give attention to the other two. I would not leave them alone together. I would train them to be in the same room and leave each other alone. I would expect the older male to want to assert himself. I would tell him no when he seems to want to be nasty and when he is good he gets a cookie. While you do this you can not allow the young one to be a pest. Make him leave the older gentleman alone.

doxie

Occasional Contributor

CrazyDaisy No we did not just thrown them in the fire together. LOL DH is taking them out together for short walks on neutral grounds seems to be working well.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Doxie

You are so right about the older male asserting himself. Just been going real slow with them today and yes I have said no...no...no...so many times today I maybe saying it in my sleep. LOL

We have not had a young one like this for a very long time like 19 years.

All 3 of these doxies we have rescued from our local shelter.

Thank you for all the great tips.

Rainy