Respected Contributor
On 11/11/2014 GrettaGarbled said:
On 11/11/2014 scotttie said:
On 11/11/2014 brii said:

California nurses are striking over lack of preparedness in dealing with possible Ebola patients.

This is infuriating. The agencies who keep saying they have it under control are proved Liars when things like this come out.

When you look at the training that they should be getting and then read these things it is beyond disgraceful.

This has to do with the HOSPITALS. Not the CDC or any other agencies. Your constant attempts to lay the blame on the government is a fail.

We are ebola free.

Gretta,

Don't the hospitals implement the guidelines set forth by the CDC? I am not blaming the Gov't I am trying to understand where these hospitals are failing their workers.

A month prior to Kaci Hickox coming to NJ the head of the NJ Nurses Union stated that at the time NJ hospitals were not ready for a possible Ebola outbreak. Because of the lack of training. I believe her and seeing how Newark's hospital was set up like a triage unit clearly shows what happened last month the extent of not being ready.

So who do the Hospitals look to for guidelines on this? There has to be a central base of what should be the protocol and procedures.

Honored Contributor
On 11/11/2014 Sushismom said:

My DIL is a Kaiser RN. The true reason for the strike? Nurses have asked for over 35 operational proposals that remain unsolved after their last strike. This includes filling more than 2,000 nursing positions that have been vacated in the last 3 years, better protections for use of sick leave or more flexibility over breaks, and more training and education. The union is using Ebola as an example. But they are definitely NOT striking over just Ebola.

Good to know. Thanks.

Super Contributor
On 11/11/2014 Caravaggio said:
On 11/11/2014 brii said:

California nurses are striking over lack of preparedness in dealing with possible Ebola patients.

This is infuriating. The agencies who keep saying they have it under control are proved Liars when things like this come out.

When you look at the training that they should be getting and then read these things it is beyond disgraceful.

This has to do with the HOSPITALS. Not the CDC or any other agencies. Your constant attempts to lay the blame on the government is a fail.

We are ebola free.

Gretta,

Don't the hospitals implement the guidelines set forth by the CDC? I am not blaming the Gov't I am trying to understand where these hospitals are failing their workers.

A month prior to Kaci Hickox coming to NJ the head of the NJ Nurses Union stated that at the time NJ hospitals were not ready for a possible Ebola outbreak. Because of the lack of training. I believe her and seeing how Newark's hospital was set up like a triage unit clearly shows what happened last month the extent of not being ready.

So who do the Hospitals look to for guidelines on this? There has to be a central base of what should be the protocol and procedures.

From my understanding the CDC sets the protocol and the hospitals implement. The CDC does not have policing responsibilities- hospitals administrators are responsible for adopting the protocol for their hospitals.

Just listening to an interview now with a union rep who is saying they want a national standard for all hospitals and have asked the CIC to use executive action to establish that. Evidently the CDC protocols leave room for interpretation and the nurses union is looking for a consistent mandate across the nation.

Respected Contributor
On 11/11/2014 Caravaggio said:
On 11/11/2014 brii said:

We are ebola free.

Gretta,

From my understanding the CDC sets the protocol and the hospitals implement. The CDC does not have policing responsibilities- hospitals administrators are responsible for adopting the protocol for their hospitals.

Just listening to an interview now with a union rep who is saying they want a national standard for all hospitals and have asked the CIC to use executive action to establish that. Evidently the CDC protocols leave room for interpretation and the nurses union is looking for a consistent mandate across the nation.

Thanks. I don't blame them. You would think for the legal implications alone that Hospitals would be on board with this already.

Respected Contributor

The CDC admitted they should have had rapid response teams ready to go at a moments notice.

Local hospitals simply did not (and probably do not still) have the proper equipment and settings to deal with a virus of this type. Think of every hospital in every community in podunk USA.

CDC blew it and they admitted they did so.