Honored Contributor

I've also heard conflicting stories about the truthfulness on Mr. Duncan's part about whether he was exposed to Ebola and having recently been in Africa.

I do believe if he was not sent home from the ER, that he probably would have survived. It was in the days after he was sent home from the ER that he really took a turn for the worse.

Chances are the two nurses wouldn't have gotten Ebola either...

Super Contributor

News conference now with Diblasio and Spencer. Wow, he's a little guy!

Honored Contributor

Take a look at this article. It really puts things in perspective.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cary-mcneal/doomsday-scenarios_b_6117114.html

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor
On 11/11/2014 mominohio said:
On 11/10/2014 dex said: Why is there no more discussion..I like to know what is going on so there will be no surprises.

We were not ready, and that was made clear.

We seemed to get a handle on it, but I think there are a number of things to be learned, because if this isn't "it" (the next really serious global pandemic), "it" will come in some form or another. What we learn here can be applied to other places and other illnesses, so even though we didn't have (yet anyway) the big outbreak some considered possible, doesn't mean we wont have it or something similar in the future. So what have I learned?

The medical profession isn't as ready for or doesn't have the full understanding of everything that crosses it's path. So in initial stages, erring on the side of being overcautious is a good thing.

People who supposedly have the education and training in a field (this case, health care) aren't always considerate of the public or even their own families, as they break quarantine, and scoff at cautious procedures in the infancy of a possible health care crisis. A little arrogance among those exposed really fueled the fires of "panic" in this case. It would have been simpler if those medical professionals had just followed quarantine, then when it became clear that the disease wasn't spreading all that easily, point would have been proven, rather than causing a ruckus by having people known to be exposed out in the public.

Media is helpful in getting information out, but too much can cause problems. Each person has to weigh the information at hand, and not be afraid to take a stand different than the general populace. Follow your gut, follow your instincts. There is nothing wrong with being cautious, and people who are upset with cautious and label it "panic" are only helping to fuel the flames.

Any preparation one makes for something like this (purchasing extra food, water, medications, protective equipment like masks) is not "crazy", it is not panic, as it can be used for any other crisis situation, weather related, economic related (even something as simple as a job loss), the next serious flu outbreak, etc.

I agree that paying attention, being ready, and wanting to avoid "surprises" is not panic, it is not unreasonable, and is what more people should be doing, in this case, as well as many other things life can throw our way.

Excellent, well expressed post. One of the best I have read here.
Super Contributor
On 11/11/2014 Ford1224 said:

Take a look at this article. It really puts things in perspective.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cary-mcneal/doomsday-scenarios_b_6117114.html

I saw h1n1 on the list and generic flu pandemic, but nothing about ebola. I guess there are a millions ways for all of us to die, but ebola ain't one of them.

Honored Contributor

California nurses are striking over lack of preparedness in dealing with possible Ebola patients.

Respected Contributor
On 11/11/2014 brii said:

California nurses are striking over lack of preparedness in dealing with possible Ebola patients.

This is infuriating. The agencies who keep saying they have it under control are proved Liars when things like this come out.

When you look at the training that they should be getting and then read these things it is beyond disgraceful.

Super Contributor
On 11/10/2014 pitdakota said:
On 11/10/2014 Qwackertoo said:

Two doctors cured.

Two nurses cured.

Camera man . . . cured or close to it.

Another Doctor on the mend.

CDC getting their protocols in spit spot shape.

There have been 3 doctors (Dr. Spenser is now free of ebola), Nancy the missionary from West Africa sent here for treatment, the camera man is cured and recently did an interview, 2 nurses in Dallas cured, and one other unknown American individual diagnosed with ebola & transferred from Sierra Leone treated successfully at Emory.

They have learned so much from successfully treating these patients. And this information is now being discussed with medical experts in West Africa. In the past, they didn't emphasize aggressive IV electrolyte replacement and dialysis over there. They are now reconsidering that. Now, if they can just get all of the beds open, trained health care providers in place to meet the demand, and get that equipment and supplies...they may very well increase the survival rate in those countries. At least I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Glad to hear the 3rd doctor is now free of ebola. I hadn't heard that until today.

I did see on HuffPost yesterday . . . didn't read the whole article . . . had a healthcare worker suited up in protective gear holding the hand of a small child photo . . . and the caption it has moved to another small town in West Africa and could possibly wipe out the entire town in deaths. I hope that is NOT the case.

Super Contributor

From an article in Fortune:

The union is asking for optimal personal protective equipment for nurses and other caregivers who interact with potential Ebola patients. This includes full-body hazmat suits that protect against blood and viral penetration, as well as air purifying respirators approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.

Beyond equipment, the striking nurses are also pushing for continuous, rigorous interactive training for hospital staff who might encounter an Ebola patient. The risk of infection is greatest with putting on and taking off the hazmat suits, and practice is the best way to ensure medical workers are prepared, according to the CDC guidelines.

Respected Contributor

My DIL is a Kaiser RN. The true reason for the strike? Nurses have asked for over 35 operational proposals that remain unsolved after their last strike. This includes filling more than 2,000 nursing positions that have been vacated in the last 3 years, better protections for use of sick leave or more flexibility over breaks, and more training and education. The union is using Ebola as an example. But they are definitely NOT striking over just Ebola.