Respected Contributor
On 11/11/2014 puglet1 said:

We forget about the far(ther)-reaching consequences of treating someone with ebola over here that we don't necessarily read about. The healthcare workers who took care of Dr. Spencer have been discriminated against by businesses, their friends, and even their own co-workers at Bellevue. Also, don't forget that Dr. Spencer was treated with a multi-faceted regimen. I wonder how many others might have the benefit of this kind of aggressive treatment? Also, critical care patients had to be moved from Bellevue to another medical facility in order to make room for Dr. Spencer's isolation protocol as well as to free up more medical personnel to take care of him. Also, 117 healthcare workers involved with his care will be taking their 21-day break and will be closely monitored.

I wonder if we will be able to manage all these resources and personnel in the future should other cases appear here.

At any rate, for the life of me, I do not understand how anyone can ridicule people who express concern. Disagree? Fine. But ridicule? {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I do not understand it either. Reminds me of schoolyard bullies.

Honored Contributor

Over 300 people are still being observed. CNN reported that this morning. With the doctor's recovery today there are no active cases of ebola in the U.S. right now.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor
On 11/11/2014 mominohio said:
On 11/10/2014 dex said: Why is there no more discussion..I like to know what is going on so there will be no surprises.

We were not ready, and that was made clear.

We seemed to get a handle on it, but I think there are a number of things to be learned, because if this isn't "it" (the next really serious global pandemic), "it" will come in some form or another. What we learn here can be applied to other places and other illnesses, so even though we didn't have (yet anyway) the big outbreak some considered possible, doesn't mean we wont have it or something similar in the future. So what have I learned?

The medical profession isn't as ready for or doesn't have the full understanding of everything that crosses it's path. So in initial stages, erring on the side of being overcautious is a good thing.

People who supposedly have the education and training in a field (this case, health care) aren't always considerate of the public or even their own families, as they break quarantine, and scoff at cautious procedures in the infancy of a possible health care crisis. A little arrogance among those exposed really fueled the fires of "panic" in this case. It would have been simpler if those medical professionals had just followed quarantine, then when it became clear that the disease wasn't spreading all that easily, point would have been proven, rather than causing a ruckus by having people known to be exposed out in the public.

Media is helpful in getting information out, but too much can cause problems. Each person has to weigh the information at hand, and not be afraid to take a stand different than the general populace. Follow your gut, follow your instincts. There is nothing wrong with being cautious, and people who are upset with cautious and label it "panic" are only helping to fuel the flames.

Any preparation one makes for something like this (purchasing extra food, water, medications, protective equipment like masks) is not "crazy", it is not panic, as it can be used for any other crisis situation, weather related, economic related (even something as simple as a job loss), the next serious flu outbreak, etc.

I agree that paying attention, being ready, and wanting to avoid "surprises" is not panic, it is not unreasonable, and is what more people should be doing, in this case, as well as many other things life can throw our way.

mominohio: I think this is the VERY BEST commentary I have read on this subject. You nailed it in every paragraph. Would you mind if I save it for future posting, credit to you of course, because these threads don't tend to last very long and I think what you have written needs to be on every ebola thread. May I?

ETA: assuming you are not there to post it yourself.

Super Contributor

Mominohio said:

We were not ready, and that was made clear.

Not true. The hospital in Texas was not ready. THAT was clear. Please stop lumping all the other hospitals in the country who heeded CDC warnings and attended CDC trainings.

The hospital in Texas fell down on the job, but that doesn't mean the entire country was unprepared.

Valued Contributor

I thank those who are working to rid the world of this scourge. Pitty, thanks for the info about the electrolyte treatment.

Honored Contributor

I heard the hospital in Texas was not ready. They were halfway through their Ebola protocol training.

Valued Contributor

The hospital in Texas was not ready, and they have publicly admitted it.

Respected Contributor
On 11/11/2014 wookie said:

The CDC admitted they blew it as well...so there's that....

We weren't really ready.

Super Contributor
On 11/11/2014 puglet1 said:

We forget about the far(ther)-reaching consequences of treating someone with ebola over here that we don't necessarily read about. The healthcare workers who took care of Dr. Spencer have been discriminated against by businesses, their friends, and even their own co-workers at Bellevue. Also, don't forget that Dr. Spencer was treated with a multi-faceted regimen. I wonder how many others might have the benefit of this kind of aggressive treatment? Also, critical care patients had to be moved from Bellevue to another medical facility in order to make room for Dr. Spencer's isolation protocol as well as to free up more medical personnel to take care of him. Also, 117 healthcare workers involved with his care will be taking their 21-day break and will be closely monitored.

I wonder if we will be able to manage all these resources and personnel in the future should other cases appear here.

At any rate, for the life of me, I do not understand how anyone can ridicule people who express concern. Disagree? Fine. But ridicule? {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Where are you hearing this? I heard they will be monitored, but not that they are out of work for 21 days.

Super Contributor
On 11/11/2014 scotttie said:
On 11/11/2014 wookie said:

The CDC admitted they blew it as well...so there's that....

We weren't really ready.

No. They most certainly did not say that.

Texas wasn't ready. I suppose if you live in Texas you are the "we".