Respected Contributor
I heard on The Newshour that Dr. Craig Spencer is free of the virus. No further infections from him or the docs treating him, etc.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

The latest news on ebola:

To date as of 11-7-2014:

Guinea 1260 cases(total) 1054 deaths

Liberia 6619 cases 2766 deaths

Sierra Leone 4862 cases 1130 deaths

Progress is being reported in the hot spots of all 3 countries but is met with cautious optimism because these outbreaks typically occur with peaks and periods of decline in cases before it peaks again. Fingers crossed the decline in cases represents headway they are making over there. Some other areas in Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone are reporting an increase in cases.

Progress is being made on the establishment of other ETCs in all 3 countries.

In the United States:

No active cases of ebola. Dr. Spencer is slated to be discharged home tomorrow.

All contacts of T. Duncan, N. Pham, & A. Vinson have been released from monitoring. So no community contacts of those 3 developed ebola.

We are around 18 days into the 21 day incubation period from Dr. Spencer and well passed the average incubation period.

And has been stated from the beginning....the focus needs to stay on West Africa.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor
Thanks everyone for your patience with me on this one...ok maybe I feel a little calmer.
Respected Contributor
On 11/10/2014 dex said: Thanks everyone for your patience with me on this one...ok maybe I feel a little calmer.

Happy to read this dex. ((((hugs))))

Respected Contributor
On 11/10/2014 Sushismom said:

There's not too much to report about Ebola in this country. No epidemic as was predicted by some. No mass deaths as predicted by some. No casual contact infection as some thought would happen. Perhaps some of the panic has died down.

Hi Sushi! Yes, not bad at all. I think the latest email I received identified a little more than 90 some odd cases suspected in the US, but ruled out. All of those hospitals screened appropriately, identified the potential risk, placed the patient in isolation appropriately, and instituted appropriate measures to care for a potential ebola patient before it was ruled out. So that makes 90 different hospitals.

If I remember correctly, the first case was in late July at a hospital in Marp's state.....North Carolina.

Honored Contributor

I was never concerned about me being exposed to ebola, to be honest.

I am concerned about people not being truthful upon entry to this country as to their (potential) to exposure. Yeah, that could get me worked up into a frenzy....lol.

Some people seemed so smug that it 'came to our shores' a la Mr. Duncan. But even that didn't get me worked up to a frenzy.

Respected Contributor
On 11/10/2014 Qwackertoo said:

Two doctors cured.

Two nurses cured.

Camera man . . . cured or close to it.

Another Doctor on the mend.

CDC getting their protocols in spit spot shape.

There have been 3 doctors (Dr. Spenser is now free of ebola), Nancy the missionary from West Africa sent here for treatment, the camera man is cured and recently did an interview, 2 nurses in Dallas cured, and one other unknown American individual diagnosed with ebola & transferred from Sierra Leone treated successfully at Emory.

They have learned so much from successfully treating these patients. And this information is now being discussed with medical experts in West Africa. In the past, they didn't emphasize aggressive IV electrolyte replacement and dialysis over there. They are now reconsidering that. Now, if they can just get all of the beds open, trained health care providers in place to meet the demand, and get that equipment and supplies...they may very well increase the survival rate in those countries. At least I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Valued Contributor

I've read that a vaccine will be available in March 2015. My understanding is that it has been used in human testing since Sept/Oct 2014. Do you feel that is enough test time? And will you be taking the vaccine? It's likely that certain professionals (health care esp) will be expected to be vaccinated. Is it too soon for mandatory vaccination on this one? (just curious as to your thoughts.. i've got no agenda on this one.) Tia ~ sue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Respected Contributor
On 11/10/2014 Lucky Charm said:

I was never concerned about me being exposed to ebola, to be honest.

I am concerned about people not being truthful upon entry to this country as to their (potential) to exposure. Yeah, that could get me worked up into a frenzy....lol.

Some people seemed so smug that it 'came to our shores' a la Mr. Duncan. But even that didn't get me worked up to a frenzy.

"frenzy" was just a talking point here. Very unfair terminology in my view.

My personal concern which I have said so many times was for (and still is) the healthcare workers in this country.