Honored Contributor

Re: Do you return food to the grocery store if it's stale or sour?

We have.

A few weeks ago Chicken of the Sea tuna was on sale and bought 3 cans.

The first can was funky, the second can was funky, both went into the garbage.

When we returned the third can they did refund us for all 3 cans even though we told them we threw the other two out.

Honored Contributor

Return, return, return. If enough people return stale/sour items, they will take notice, and be more careful. If hardly anyone returns those items, the store won't even bother to research/remedy the problem(s).

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

I absolutely do! With the price of groceries I have no qualms about returning anything that is not up to my expectations! I think most reputable stores will not have problems with that!
Respected Contributor

When buying cheese, milk, yogurt etc I always take from the very back. Stores always put the freshest products in the back and the use buy dates up front.
Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

I do search for 'newer' products that should last a bit longer, but find some stores always sell merchandise that has a very proximate sell-by date... I also often see things on shelves that should have been pulled. Usually, I do try to return an item that isn't fresh and should be, but sometimes I just grin and bear it, toss it and replace it next time I go shopping.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

When i shop for fresh food I pay attention to the sell by dates closely.

Super Contributor

I always check the dates. But I still have gotten items that weren't fresh. I take them back the next time I go.

One time while shopping at the dairy shelves, an elderly man was looking for cottage cheese. He finally said to me, how do I know it's good. I suggested he look at the sell by date and he didn't have any idea what I was talking about. I showed him where it was and this particular container was outdated. So we found one that was good. When I went to check out, I told the cashier about the outdated products.

Respected Contributor

I did this a few years ago. I shop at a Safeway store just a short distance from our home. I purchased Marie's salad dressing. Used it a week or so later and when I opened the jar, a disgusting odor and discolored film was on the top of the dressing. I looked at the expiration date and it was 2 months prior.

I returned it, no receipt and no questions asked. The manager told me to pick out another jar. Low and behold, the entire row had the same expirations dates!

Since that time I always check the expiration dates. Lesson learned.

Honored Contributor

Do you return food to the grocery store if it's stale or sour?

Yes. I also call the manufacturer if I can locate a phone number. Most are glad to have people do this as this helps them figure out what caused these problems. If nobody complains, most companies assume there are no problems.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

only return fruits mostly like peaches that are woody and berries that get moldy quickly. there was a big problem this summer with watermelons that never ripened too. the store i go to gives double the money back on spoiled produce and meats.